cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

how to delete my photos in my smartphone only? not both of sides(smartphone and dropbox)

Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

I am using Dropbox professional plan.

I am currently using my Galaxy smartphone to sync my smartphone photos via dropbox.

I want to delete the photos on my smartphone after syncing, but I expect the photos in the dropbox to disappear.

Are there any way to just delete the photos from smartphone excluding photos in dropbox?

Do you ever be able to back up photos taken on your smartphone via dropbox? Please answer someone you know.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: how to delete my photos in my smartphone only? not both of sides(smartphone and dropbox)

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

No worries, @Oreobanana

@Oreobanana wrote:
I just have one more question, what is the meaning of the sentence, “please note that those photos... seperate...”

Imagine that you add a photo to your Dropbox account from your mobile's Camera Roll. 

Once the upload is done, you then have two of the same photo:

• One in your mobile device's Camera Roll (which takes up space on your device).
  • One in your Dropbox account (which doesn't take up space on your mobile).

For this reason, if you delete the photo that's in your Camera Roll, the one in your Dropbox account won't be removed, and vice versa.

@Oreobanana wrote:
And how to note(define) the folder that is separate b/w dropbox and smartphone? Could you explain the method kindly?

The photo in your mobile is the one in your Gallery/Photos internal storage. The location of the image you added to your Dropbox account depends how you uploaded it. 

More specifically, if you added it:

• Manually - it's in the folder in which you uploaded it to. For example, if I add a photo to my Dropbox account in a folder called "Summer", the photo will be in that folder. 
  • Using camera uploads - the photo is in a folder called "Camera Uploads" (or the equivalent language).

I hope this helps clarify my previous post, but don't hesitate to get back to me if you have any other questions. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Re: how to delete my photos in my smartphone only? not both of sides(smartphone and dropbox)

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @Oreobanana

If you've added photos to your Dropbox account either manually uploading them or by using camera uploads, please note that those photos are separate from the ones in your mobile device's internal storage. 

In other words, if you delete a photo from your Camera Roll on your mobile device, that photo won't be deleted from your Dropbox account, and vice versa. 

Hope this helps!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
Thank you for kind reply

I just have one more question, what is the meaning of the sentence, “please note that those photos... seperate...”

And how to note(define) the folder that is separate b/w dropbox and smartphone? Could you explain the method kindly?

Thank you again for your help

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

No worries, @Oreobanana

@Oreobanana wrote:

Imagine that you add a photo to your Dropbox account from your mobile's Camera Roll. 

Once the upload is done, you then have two of the same photo:

• One in your mobile device's Camera Roll (which takes up space on your device).
  • One in your Dropbox account (which doesn't take up space on your mobile).

For this reason, if you delete the photo that's in your Camera Roll, the one in your Dropbox account won't be removed, and vice versa.

@Oreobanana wrote:

The photo in your mobile is the one in your Gallery/Photos internal storage. The location of the image you added to your Dropbox account depends how you uploaded it. 

More specifically, if you added it:

• Manually - it's in the folder in which you uploaded it to. For example, if I add a photo to my Dropbox account in a folder called "Summer", the photo will be in that folder. 
  • Using camera uploads - the photo is in a folder called "Camera Uploads" (or the equivalent language).

I hope this helps clarify my previous post, but don't hesitate to get back to me if you have any other questions. Cheers!

Lusil

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you again for your very kind description!

I have one more question.

You mentioned that If I delete the photo that's in my Camera Roll, the one in my Dropbox account won't be removed. In this part, I do not clearly understand why it works like that because dropbox and cameraroll has been synced since camera upload function.

is dropbox synchronizing simultaneously b/w my Carmera Roll and dropbox folder? So, If I delete my photo in my Camera Roll, those of photo in dropbox folder will be deleted at the same time due to synchronizing function.

I really thank you for your practical help again. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @Oreobanana,

The camera uploads feature only adds photos to your Dropbox account from your Camera Roll, it doesn't sync them.

The Camera Uploads folder is the one that syncs throughout your Dropbox account (to the website, the desktop app, and the mobile app).

This is because syncing can only successfully happen to files and folders that are inside your Dropbox account, not outside of it. 

You can think of it like this:

• The Camera Uploads folder is part of your Dropbox account.
  • The Camera Roll folder is part of your mobile device. 

Let me know if you have any other questions or if you'd like me to clarify something further. Thanks!

Lusil

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

When I delete the photos in Dropbox than I like to delete also in the Mobile Camera Folder. I just want to delete them one time not every time twice. If it is not possible than I losing a lot of time in my live

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @janbo1982, thanks nudging us on this thread. 

Currently, photos added to your Dropbox account and those stored in your mobile's internal storage are, in essence, two separate images. For this reason, when you delete one, the other doesn't get removed. 

However, thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts and feedback with us, we greatly appreciate it. 

If you have any other questions or thoughts you'd like to share with us, don't hesitate to do so. In the meantime, have a lovely day ahead! 

Lusil

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?