cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to undo smart sync

how to undo smart sync

treasah
Explorer | Level 3

Hi all, I recently did a Smart Sync on my laptop to free up some hard drive space, but after completing the sync, several of my icons (for games or apps like Discord) no longer display properly. Two of the games display the Windows Internet Explorer icon, but the others show something that looks more like a blank page. I haven't been able to find a solution yet and it's frustrating. I have tried to reverse the Smart Sync but it's taking forever since I have to do every file individually (I'm not sure what exactly caused the problem). What possible solutions are there for this problem? 

5 Replies 5

Re: how to undo smart sync

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @treasah, welcome to our Community and thanks for using Dropbox!

Could you please send us a screenshot of what it looks like on your end, so that we can have a visual too?

Also, what is the app's exact status as shown in your system tray?

Let me know!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

treasah
Explorer | Level 3

Well, here's an example of what's going on with my app icons -- you can see that the Dropbox icon isn't showing up right:Screenshot 2021-09-23 18.25.57.png

I have also acquired this weird ghost desktop icon:

Screenshot 2021-09-23 18.25.572.png

The Dropbox in system tray says it can't sync because there isn't enough free disk space (on the hard drive I guess?)

I feel like it shouldn't be this complicated to undo a Smart Sync.

Walter
Dropboxer
Is it possible that you've enabled the hidden files to show on your computer lately @treasah?

Regarding the syncing issue, you'll need to free up some hard drive space before the app can normally sync the changes you made. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

treasah
Explorer | Level 3

@Walter so in order to revert the changes that were made and fix the problems from doing Smart Sync I need to...make space on my hard drive first? There's no way to just revert to a pre-Smart Sync state otherwise?

Walter
Dropboxer
At this point, I'm afraid that would be the safest bet @treasah

Let me know how you get on!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    treasah Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?