cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: i Phone X cannot import photos -device is locked

i Phone X cannot import photos -device is locked

DD2002
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

When I plug into my iPhone X with my computer (Windows 10)  dropbox pops up a message ''Device is locked'' 

I tried all the ways that I read here in Dropbox support but nothing works .

I choosed ''I trust '' to my phone , I reinstalled dropbox in my computer, I opened the photos when I pluged the device and I changed the preferences in dropbox about asking me everytime about what to do with this device . What else can I do ?

29 Replies 29

Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Oh look- I just won a badge-
Too bad **bleep** don’t hang.

Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Oh- Now deleting complaints?

Really?

Wiel
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I try it again:

I think I found how to make it work:
right-click on DropBox icon in tray
open options (gear icon)
select "preferences"
select "Import" tab
delete all the devices like "Apple iPhone (personal)"
click on "Change autoplay settings"
find the iPhone device on the list and change the setting to "import fotos and videos (dropbox)" 
then:

open explorer
connect your iphone
dropbox wil open a pop up with the name "camera-upload" with the option to import. WAIT.
In explorer in the drives list your iPhone will appear.
select it, unlock the phone and wait until the directory "internal storage" is visseble. Select it and wait for DCIM.

on the pop-up about what to do , choose "start to import"

This works for me every time on every computer.
When i take the iphone of my wife i don't need to do al these steps, she has not so many photo's on her device so i think it is because it takes too long to search for the iphone when you have a lot photos on your device.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for letting us know about this @Wiel and sorry to hear our system was acting up marking your posts as spam. 

Let us know if this works for you too @1315 and note that we do offer phone support to admins of Dropbox Business teams on the Advanced and Enterprise plans, and for Dropbox Education teams (you can find more in the Admin's Console under the 'Help' tab if you're an Admin on one of those plans). If you’re a member of one of these teams but you're not an admin, you can ask the admin of your team to call us on your behalf. 

If you are on an individual plan, you can log a ticket with our team and ask for more account specific assistance any time you wish through this page: 

https://www.dropbox.com/support

Hope this helps to some extent and have a lovely day folks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

zombie343
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Double-post.

zombie343
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@marcdeschenes wrote:

The answer is stupidly easy and should have been fixed a long time ago.

Unplug iPhone from PC.

Right click on Dropbox icon, click on on gear (settings) icons and select Exit Dropbox.

Plug in iPhone, Dropbox will autostart and voila!

I can repeat this behavior every time I plug in the iPhone whilst Dropbox is running.

Good luck! 

This worked for me! thank you! I hope dropbox fixes this!

Johan M.4
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This solved my issue!!

The answer is stupidly easy and should have been fixed a long time ago.

Unplug iPhone from PC.

Right click on Dropbox icon, click on on gear (settings) icons and select Exit Dropbox.

Plug in iPhone, Dropbox will autostart and voila!

I can repeat this behavior every time I plug in the iPhone whilst Dropbox is running.

Good luck! 

cornellalum
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Nvmd.  

howlymowly
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Well.. accidentally sent this first from a different account that I didn’t realize was logged into my phone. And once fixed, now my post seems to have vanished. soooo... trying again, from my proper account now:

I have a solution that I *THINK* may work for everyone. If all of the above haven’t worked for you, give it a try.

Yesterday I was importing photos via Dropbox, just fine. I had to leave the house before the import finished, and took my phone.

When I tried again today, suddenly it was telling me the device was locked. Now, yesterday, it gave me that message ONCE, and my phone WAS locked, so I unlocked it, and it proceeded without a problem.

Today it was insisting that my phone was locked, even as I scrolled through my photos.

Here are my tech specs, and the list of solutions I tried, before finally getting my import working again, as of 1/16/2020:

PHONE-
iPhone Xs, 256GB capacity (with WAY too many photos, and trying to clear off my phone storage, to my Dropbox)
running iOS 13.3
Dropbox iphone app version 172.3.2

COMPUTER-
Dell Latitude E5540 laptop (old and VERY sluggish. Trying to complete import and make sure all photos are in Dropbox and not scattered/duplicated, and then swapping to new laptop).
Running Windows 7, which just became obsolete. No more windows support for windows 7, as of 1/10/2020.
Dropbox application for Windows - v88.4.172

SOLUTIONS I TRIED TODAY, THAT DID NOT WORK FOR ME:

- unplug and replug
-unplug, make sure to have photos open when plugging back in.
-unplug phone, pause syncing on computer, re-plug in, resume syncing
-plug into a different USB port, which requires “trust computer” again.
-restart computer and Phone, try all again.
-using gear icon/preferences in computer app, under import tab, change “auto play settings”, to allow to manually select “import with Dropbox” when plugging in phone. Unplug and replug with new setting. (Still failed, same error message)
-check privacy settings on my phone .. some suggested marking sure app had access to read/write. I did already, but tried turning it off, opening closing app, turning access back on, trying again. Still no dice.
-playing with iTunes: a) making sure iTunes was closed before plugging in phone, opening iTunes after. B)making sure iTunes was open before plugging in iphone, C) with both of the above, “ejecting” the iphone from iTunes app, and then trying (since now I could manually select import, AFTER trying other stuff, due to changing auto play settings.)
-locking and then unlocking phone, to see if that would fix it (since yesterday, unlocking it seemed to fix, even with auto play setting. It auto-began import after unlocking.) not today, apparently.
-opening Dropbox app on phone before (and after) plugging into computer
- make sure no other device is plugged into any other USB port at the same time (a YouTube video suggested this was the culprit for stuff not transferring. Figured maybe it would make a difference here too. But no).

Thing I did NOT try:
- I did NOT try uninstalling all traces of iTunes, as one person suggested. Mainly because I know my computer is slow and the uninstaller has always been massive PITA...
plus the people from old 2015 thread, on iPhone 5 who it worked for, said they were on a Mac. I didn’t want to go through all that work and have it not even apply.

HOWEVER, I thought I remembered something about iTunes process from yesterday; So, this last one got me thinking, and I believe I finally found the solution that is —gasp—universal? Maybe. Worked for me when literally NONE of the other solutions worked. (On a phone and computer that just yesterday was totally fine).

It is at least a solution that explains why it was fine yesterday but not today...

NEW SOLUTION WHICH WORKED FOR ME (using Windows 7):

Close all “process trees” related to iTunes AND QuickTime!! (And possibly one other app. I’ll explain. Keep reading.)

(Yes, in task manager. Find the offending processes—NOT applications, which are likely already closed—right click, choose “end process tree”. MAY work with just “end process”. I went straight for the throat. You do you.)

MUST close all processes for both. After the suggestion to uninstall/delete iTunes, I decided I could try closing all iTunes processes. Still didn’t work. Decided to browse task manager and see if I had missed one. All iTunes processes were gone, but then I remembered that QuickTime is related, and also uses phone media.

I found a whole collection of “QT” processes. Turns out some were QuickTime. Others were something like “qtwebengineprocess.exe”

I didn’t remember seeing them in my process list yesterday, so— being at my wits end, very impatient, and going full blitz... ended the process tree for the ~5 instances of that process running, as well.

Unplugged, replugged back in... AGAIN; and Suddenly it worked.

FYI— just did some quick googling to find that the qtwebengine process is nonessential, and appears connected to Dropbox. Also, in a quick search, there’s a forum question, someone asking why Dropbox installs that process.

I don’t get it.

ANYWAY, mess with ending processes via task manager at your own risk.

Now that I’ve just read what I did, I’m not sure if it was the iTunes/QuickTime processes keeping a lock on the phone? Or the qtwebengine process that was running multiple instances. Initially I was going to say it was an iTunes problem, not a Dropbox problem. But truthfully, now not sure.

Either way, closing them all (all processes under iTunes, QuickTime and qtwebengineprocess) allowed import work again, without another restart of computer or phone. Been running for a few hours. 31 minutes to go. Supposedly.

Good luck everyone!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @cornellalum (or @howlymowly) - welcome to the Dropbox Community and thanks for going through your extensive troubleshooting process; I'm sure this will help any users that might get this error in the future.

As a side note, I've found the (now duplicated) post of yours in our Community's spam section and brought it back for you. Apologies for this but our spam filter must have caught your post due to its length. 

In any case, I'm glad to hear you managed to resolve your concern in the end and note that we're always around if you have any questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?