cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS App No Longer Allows Converting Photos to JPG When Uploading

iOS App No Longer Allows Converting Photos to JPG When Uploading

Explorer | Level 4

When uploading photos in the iOS app, it no longer gives the option to convert the HEIC photos to JPG format while uploading.  It used to have this option when selecting Create -> Upload Photos, but now I can't find it anywhere and photos will only upload as HEIC format.  There is a Dropbox support article that references options/settings for this, but they do not exist in the app or in the iOS settings.

9 Replies 9

Re: iOS App No Longer Allows Converting Photos to JPG When Uploading

Dropboxer

Hey @Mondegreen; thanks for joining our Community and happy November!

This option is available when using our camera uploads feature; are you sure you remember this option when manually uploading files through the (+) button within our mobile app?

While we're at it, can you please let me know if you're on the most updated versions of your device's OS and our mobile app's as well?

If you're indeed on the most updated versions and this persists after rebooting your device, could you clear the app's cache using the following steps? 

1. Navigate to the "Personal" or "Account" tab
2. Tap the gear icon in the upper-left corner of the screen
3. Select “Clear Cache”

4. Once this is done then please ensure you log out of the Dropbox application, then restart your device and log back in again.

Keep me posted! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for your help.  I am 100% certain that I was previously uploading photos manually; using the (+) button folowed by "Upload Photos", or by clicking the "Upload Photos" button in a newly-created/empty folder.  I used the automatic camera upload feature briefly some years ago, but I have not used it recently. 

I just went into the app to check again, and to try clearing the cache as you suggested.  However, the functionality has now returned so it seems the problem somehow resolved itself.  I am using the latest version of the Dropbox app, but am behind on one OS update.  I have used this feature many times over the past couple months, but only encountered this issue a few days ago.  This was not long since the app updated on 10/28, but the app has not updated since then.  I made multiple attempts with several different photos/files/folders but never had the option to convert the photo(s) until it reappeared today.  It's possible my device has restarted in the meantime.

I will update my device's OS just to be safe, and will try to restart/clear cache if I encounter this issue again.

Attached is a photo of the feature that was not showing previously, but is now working.  The option to "Save HEIC Photos As" was simply not there.

Thanks again for your assistance.Photo Nov 02, 12 26 39 PM.jpg

Explorer | Level 4

I am experiencing this issue once again, after ensuring my app and OS are up to date.  The option/feature that is shown in my previous screenshot is missing again.  

I have tried:

- Restarting device

- Clearing cache and restarting device again

- Logging out of app, restarting device again, and logging back into the app

None of the above resolved the issue; I still do not have see the "Save HEIC Photos As" option that was previously available, as seen in my previous screenshot.  You can see I have an HEIC file selected, but it does not show the option.

Photo Nov 04, 5 40 53 PM.jpg

P.S. I am not interested in a workaround like changing the settings of my phone's camera app, as that would change/limit the functionality of my camera app, and is not an acceptible solution to the issue I'm having.  I want to know why the Dropbox feature is disappearing and how to get it back and use it reliably.

Dropboxer

Hi @Mondegreen, could you try uninstalling the app completely, rebooting the device, and reinstalling it to see if this helps?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

I tried uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling, and it still is not working.  There is still no option for "Save HEIC Photos As" -- there is nothing below the filename and location.  If I proceed to upload anyway, it uploads the photo as an HEIC file.

Dropboxer

Could you let me know exactly which iOS version your device is running at the moment, @Mondegreen?

Also, which version of the Dropbox app do you have installed?

If you're not sure how to check this, you can do so by:

1. Opening the Dropbox app.
  2. Go to the Account tab in the bottom right.
  3. Tap the gear icon in the top left.
  4. Check under the section "App version".

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 4

I am using iOS version 14.1 (18A8395) on an iPhone X (MQAM2LL/A)

Dropbox app version 212.2.2

Dropboxer

Hi @Mondegreen, would it be possible to contact you at your email to assist further on this matter? Thanks!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 4

Sure.  For what it's worth, I've checked again several times over the past few days, and it was still not working.  Until today -- now it is suddenly back again, but no idea why.  I haven't changed anything.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?