cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone upload photos and videos in background

iPhone upload photos and videos in background

New member | Level 2

I’ve seen a few posts on background uploading requiring a location change. I also use Google Photos and it seems to have no issue uploading photos and videos in the background. Is there not a code fix available from Dropbox to fix this issue? Last night I had about 30 videos and photos in process uploading to Dropbox and put my phone on the charger and went to bed, woke up, no progress while Google Photos was complete. I’m about to cancel my Dropbox account if they can get this fixed.

4 Replies 4

Re: iPhone upload photos and videos in background

Dropboxer

Hi there @Trixonik; welcome to our Community and thanks for using Dropbox!

I'm assuming you've already gone through the relevant documentation, but if you haven't yet, please take a look there as it includes all the information about this.

Specifically, since you have an iOS device, you need to enable location services and delete or disable any other app that is automatically receiving uploaded photos from your computer, phone, or tablet (such as Google Photos or iCloud Photos). 

Apart from that, it's true that camera uploads pauses if no change in location is detected after a certain amount of time.

That being said, I appreciate the time you took to provide us with your feedback on this and if you'd like to suggest a change on this behavior, you can post your idea in the relevant section of our Community so other users can upvote it to show their interest. 

I know it's not exactly what you were looking for, but I hope this helps. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2
Thanks for the reply. I’m still not clear on how Google Photos stays more up to date than Dropbox. Is there any programmatic way to keep the iPhone “awake” while photo sync is occurring until it is complete. This seems to be a common “pet peeve” with Dropbox on iOS.

Explorer | Level 3

Walter,

Is there any way to override this "feature," which stops camera uploads while I am at home for extended periods, so that my camera uploads stay up to date?

And why does Dropbox stop uploading images when my location doesn't change? Is this considered a feature or a bug? It isn't logical. I am more likely to want to upload images if I am on my wifi (stationary) rather than out and about on cellular data. This is especially true during a pandemic, when I don't leave my home for days on end. Please help!

Thank you,

Z

Dropboxer

Hi @Ziptie, the location services allows apps on iOS devices to remain active in the background. If there isn't a location change, then the OS will quit the app, so that uploads won't be able to run again.

Currently, there isn't an option to let the app run indefinitely in the background, due to restrictions from the OS.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?