cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

in mac: dropbox app randomly disappearing, files don't open, smart sync enabling wheel of death

in mac: dropbox app randomly disappearing, files don't open, smart sync enabling wheel of death

Joyce S.2
Explorer | Level 3

Dropbox has been working normally. I didn't do anything between yesterday and today. I open the dropbox app. try to open a file, word, jpeg, anything. Nothing happens. There are no error codes. The correct doc shows up in the thumbnail to the right, but nothing opens. Not with the "open" button, not with a double click. I rebooted the computer. Nothing. I trashed the app and reinstalled and rebooted. Nothing. I updated Catalina and rebooted nothing. I had a notice that smart sync was not enabled. Tried to do that but got spinning wheel of death twice. Had to force quit. Dropbox was "not responding". Now the icon for the app has disappeared. HELP!!! I can't run my business without these docs and I can't properly share them with clients from the browser.

2 Replies 2

Re: in mac: dropbox app randomly disappearing, files don't open, smart sync enabling wheel of death

Joyce S.2
Explorer | Level 3

It is definitely a problem with the App. I have found a way to open Dropbox in the Finder and in that way I can open the docxs. The app randomly closes, doesn't respond alternately. What should I do?

I have already trashed the app and reinstalled it once. Should I do it again?

Re: in mac: dropbox app randomly disappearing, files don't open, smart sync enabling wheel of death

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Joyce S.2, thanks for posting today!

When you said you reinstalled the app, did you try an advanced reinstall of the app using the steps in this link?

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?