Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

linux server sinking with windows pc

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello there guys,

I have a linux vps which I don't really use much accept as a storage for my files, its fedora 64bit. Will dropbox work on it?

there are 2 folders in there which I'd like to backup to dropbox, but the thing is, there are many files in there (far too many for me to rename them all) with similar names but difference of upper and lowercase letters.

For example Moments.mp3 and moments.mp3

My question is, will dropbox synk these files just fine? or ignore them or leave them out?

Also, will my windows dropbox app be able to sync these files too? sinse windows doesn't differenciate between files names having upper and lowercase letters.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: linux server sinking with windows pc

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there @Drownzer,

To run the desktop app on a Linux device, the essential requirements are as follows:

• Fedora 21 or higher (or Ubuntu 14.04 or higher)
  • Glibc 2.19 or higher
  • The Dropbox folder to be stored on an ext4-formatted hard drive or partition

For the additional requirements for the full Dropbox app I’d recommend checking our system requirements here depending on the desktop environment you’re using.

With the same name files/folders with only a difference in upper and lowercase letters, these will all sync to the Dropbox website. But, when syncing to other connected devices that are Windows or Mac systems then one of the files/folders will be renamed with the addition (Case Conflict) so that the files can be synced to these devices.

However, please note though that servers are not a supported location for the Dropbox folder to be hosted as it needs to be located within the internal hard drive as mentioned in this article here

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: linux server sinking with windows pc

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there @Drownzer,

To run the desktop app on a Linux device, the essential requirements are as follows:

• Fedora 21 or higher (or Ubuntu 14.04 or higher)
  • Glibc 2.19 or higher
  • The Dropbox folder to be stored on an ext4-formatted hard drive or partition

For the additional requirements for the full Dropbox app I’d recommend checking our system requirements here depending on the desktop environment you’re using.

With the same name files/folders with only a difference in upper and lowercase letters, these will all sync to the Dropbox website. But, when syncing to other connected devices that are Windows or Mac systems then one of the files/folders will be renamed with the addition (Case Conflict) so that the files can be synced to these devices.

However, please note though that servers are not a supported location for the Dropbox folder to be hosted as it needs to be located within the internal hard drive as mentioned in this article here

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?