cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

login prompt when sharing link

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

The user-interface changed. Before clicking shared links would automatically download. Now you get the login prompt. People are confused by this. They think they have to have a dropbox account to download. Please have an option to not have this prompt.

11 Replies 11
Highlighted

Re: login prompt when sharing link

Super User II
Super User II

You can get it via a slightly different method - send it via your own email. 

See www.dropbox.com/help/167 for the 'new' way. 

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

This is the WORST decision by Dropbox. I will no longer share albums using this service because of this. When sharing an album, the last thing people want when viewing that album is a login prompt, which is just a pathetic attempt by dropbox to get more people signing up. As the OP above says, it's also a confusing user experience for the receiver of the album link who doesn't care what service is being used, they just want to see the photos.

Well, it's backfired, and I will not be using Dropbox to share albums anymore.

I guess it was always going to happen... these tech giants start getting pushy when the millions of dollars don't roll in like they used to.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I now see that Dropbox has reverted this change for paid accounts. I am glad they did so because I was in the process of researching a different cloud provider. I send a lot of sharelinks. I was quite upset about this change.

1. It was deceptive. (Dropbox should be more above board especially because people are trusting them with their files!) It led people to think they needed a Dropbox account to access your file if they did not look at the page closely. This is a characteristic of malware. It tries to deceive you into doing something you really actually do not want to do. This was very tacky of Dropbox.

2. I pay for Dropbox. I expect to be able to share my information with sharelinks. However, I am not interested in "advertising" for Dropbox with each of my sharelinks. If someone likes the service, I can tell them about it, or they can look into it on their own. They should not be duped into signing up for it.

Another recent change I have noticed is that the comments bar on the right is minimized by default. Much better! I do not use Dropbox to collaborate in this way. 

Thank you Dropbox for reverting the sharelink interface to how it was before!

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

@Brock C They haven't reverted anything.  You are mistaken. The login / signup prompt is  still shown for anyone who hasn't been to that album yet, then a cookie is set which prevents it showing again. Because you have already visited the album, you don't see the login prompt again.

Nothing has changed, the problem is still there. Try visiting your shared album in private mode or with cookies disabled and you will get the login pop-up.

The normal use case is to send the album link to people who have not been there before, so all of those people will still get the annoying and confusing sign-up prompt.

I'm using Google photos now, which is better, although they also have their share of annoying prompts trying to convince you to sign in or otherwise do something unrelated to simply looking at photos.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

@Paul K. I have access to two different accounts. For a few tasks with my work I have a free account. For it there is a login prompt as soon as the sharelink page loads. However, my personal account is a paid account. For it there is no login prompt as soon as the page loads. All along I have been testing this in incognito mode in Chrome, and I even tested in a different browser without any cookies set. I have updated my previous comment to specify "paid accounts" instead. Below are two sharelinks from the two different accounts. 

Example from paid account

Example from free account

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

there is a login prompt as soon as the sharelink page loads.

For clarity's sake, it's not a log in prompt. It's prompting them to create an account if they wish. They can simply click the No thanks, continue to view   link to proceed to the file.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

@Rich R "sign in" is the first link on the prompt. Followed by "sign up" followed by another "sign up with Google" and then finally in smaller type at the bottom "no thanks..".

The issue is that it appears at all. A roadblock to the user experience. It's not wanted at all by any user, and is annoying for both sender and receiver. Knowing my recipients will be faced with that when I send them a few photos is not cool. There could easily be a banner of sorts or menu item on page that performs the same login / sign up options, but not slapped in the face of visitors not expecting it.

It's an elementary UX fail, but I don't care I've moved on. They should have a "make this prompt go away with a pro account" link in the prompt too.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Had to sign up just to agree with this. I am using Dropbox professionally to share large photo sets with my clients, meaning they all download them as well. Many of my not-so-tech-savvy clients report that they are unable to download the photos since they don't have an account. Incredibly annoying, seeing I pay to use dropbox and expect it to function as a professional service, not making me look like an amateur. 

Please Dropbox, fix this. Just make an option for "link sharing with direct download". You can hide it as far in to the settings menu as you want, as long as you give me the ability to not look like a amateur to my clients! 

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Dropbox is turning into crap - can I just login and use the damned thing. I don't want to register with Donal drumpf.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?