cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

messed up folders, photos uploaded to wrong folder

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I am damn sick of using dropbox. i bought the pro account in the hope that I can upload my entire external hard drive of photos to the site with a simple click and drag but NO, it has been a nightmare from the start. The files will be uploaded but they sometimes get sorted into a different folder from the one i dragged them into! then i have to locate the missing photos and move them back into the correct folders. do u know how troublesome it is to look through a whole folder of 500 images to find which ones are missing and then locate the missing ones (which sometimes go into more than one other folder!?!) 

This has been the worst waste of my time. I've had the account for 3 months and i still haven't been able to upload my entire HDD in there. can someone explain this?! 

I regret signing up for this. after the year is over I'm moving over to Google Drive!

17 Replies 17
Highlighted

Re: messed up folders, photos uploaded to wrong folder

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble! If you are uploading a large number of files to Dropbox, I'd recommend using the Dropbox desktop application rather than the website. The desktop application can handle a larger number of files at once than the website and you can also pause the upload and resume it at any time. You can read more about how to add files to Dropbox here:

Cheers

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

The same thing happened to me.  I needed to make room on my hard drive, so I copied my lightroom backup folders to dropbox.com.  I'm still sorting it out manually one folder at a time.  There's obviously a bug in the upload code somewhere.  It's not like the structure was copied to a different folder.  files within the directory structure were created on dropbox in wrong folders.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

This is STILL happening, and the help desk is useless in adressing it.  I paid for the Pro upgrade as well, but I have received nothing but two very obvious form copy/paste responses that obviously didn't bother to actually read my complaint.  Then they closed the case when it took too long (five days or so) for me to respond to their last unhelpful response without verifying that the problem was resolved.

I paid for Dropbox Pro when the cloud service I had been using went belly-up, since I'd been using the free version without problem for years.  This is not what I expected from a paid service.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Carl, your link is broken.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

EvilEmpryss wrote:

This is STILL happening

What, exactly, is still happening? Please be specific as your case could be different from the original post in this thread.

If it's the exact same thing as the original post, having difficulty uploading files from an external drive, then you should know that that's not the intent of Dropbox. It does not have a reliable method of uploading en masse from an external source. Dropbox is a file syncing service, meant to keep a copy of the files in your local Dropbox folder in sync with your other devices and your account online. It is not a cloud-based storage system (yes, it has some cloud-like features, but that is not its primary purpose).

If you need to move a large quantity of files to your account online, you should place them in your local Dropbox folder on your computer and allow them to sync. Once fully synced, you can use Selective Sync to remove the folder from your local comptuter while leaving it in place online.

I've updated Carl's link above. Dropbox has recently updated many help articles, and instead of using the existing URLs or at least forwarding them, they just deleted them. We've asked that the older article URLs be redireted.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

"If it's the exact same thing as the original post, having difficulty uploading files from an external drive, then you should know that that's not the intent of Dropbox."

That's nice to know, and would be helpful to warn people before they actually purcahse your product.  I don't suppose "You can only reliably upload files from your computer's operating harddrive" would do much for upgrade sales, though.

Problem is that it's happening when I upload from my computer's harddrive, too, so it's not the fact that it's coming from an external source that is the problem.  If I try to upload files from my harddrive to a folder on my Dropbox account, random files will be sorted to random folders, and they only way I can find them is to go through each and every folder and compare it to my source folder on my harddrive.  At one point it looked like there was a pattern to where the files were being misplaced, but it didn't bear out after I kept looking, and the number of files being shuffled was still totally random.

Also, I don't have a terabyte of storage space on my local harddrive, which makes it difficult to sync all my folders on my harddrive, first.  You're suggesting a very complicated process: if I were to copy my active music folder, for example, I would have to create a folder to sync, copy my files into it, wait for it to sync, then transfer the files to a folder on Dropbox that doesn't sync to my harddrive, then go back and remove what are now dupicate files on my harddrive.  Lather, rinse, repeat with the next set of folders. I was looking for a service that would allow me to simply and securely store my documents in the cloud and free up harddrive space but still access my files anywhere.  Since that is what Dropbox is advertized as, the distinction should be made clearer in your advertising.  

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I am having the same problem and I agree this is BS. Surely Dropbox isnt meant to only work for new files that you create after you purcahse it. This is a serious flaw, and a real competitive advantage for Google Drive, ICloud and other virtual storage solutions.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

One year (!) has passed since the first report of this issue and you still have not fixed this bug. If I upload multiple files and folders via the webapp, some files end up in the wrong folders. Are you planning to fix this bug at all or this is "working as intended" ? I am seriously considering switching over to GoogleDrive and I have just upgraded to the Dropbox Pro plan.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Had the exactly the same problem this past two days, have to go through each and every folder to check if the files are complete, can not believe the dropbox is letting it happen, they should at least let us know of this bug!!!

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?