cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

move contents of dropbox to external hard drive

move contents of dropbox to external hard drive

jayne
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

how do I move contents of dropbox

i.e my files and photos to an external hard drive

thanks folks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Do you have the Dropbox client installed on your computer? If so, then your files will be syncing to your computer. They'll be in the Dropbox folder. Just copy them to your external drive like you would any other file.

If you're not already syncing your files and you just use the Dropbox website, then you'll need to download your files and save them to your external drive. The easier method would be to install the Dropbox client, let it sync all of your files to your computer, uninstall the client, and then move the Dropbox folder to your external drive.

View solution in original post

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @TominAZ

Welcome to the Dropbox Community, let's look into that together!

Please keep in mind that as a rule of thumb we recommend choosing a location for the Dropbox folder on the same hard drive as your operating system, since Dropbox won't work correctly if the Dropbox folder becomes inaccessible, which can happen if it's located on an external drive that gets disconnected. 

Should you decide to go per this option regardless, though, please follow these steps. 

Of course, we’re always here if you need further assistance! 

Warm regards, 
JaneA  

[mod edit 2023, updated Help Center link]

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

25 Replies 25

LIUTAURAS
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
If you want them to be synchronized parent folder should be created in your external drive

jayne
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
not synchronised as such , copied I meant - to another storage facility such as a external hard? I'm a newbie so not very techie
thanks

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @jayne, welcome to our forum! 

Do you have our desktop application installed on your computer? If so, do you want to have your local Dropbox folder and keep another copy on an external hard drive? 

Let me know, and we’ll take it from there. 

Thanks! 

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Do you have the Dropbox client installed on your computer? If so, then your files will be syncing to your computer. They'll be in the Dropbox folder. Just copy them to your external drive like you would any other file.

If you're not already syncing your files and you just use the Dropbox website, then you'll need to download your files and save them to your external drive. The easier method would be to install the Dropbox client, let it sync all of your files to your computer, uninstall the client, and then move the Dropbox folder to your external drive.

TominAZ
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
No, I want to move Dropbox to an external drive off my very crowded hard drive, and I bought a 5T drive to do that. It is on the Dropbox cloud, so I don't need it on two drives at my house. 😉

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @TominAZ

Welcome to the Dropbox Community, let's look into that together!

Please keep in mind that as a rule of thumb we recommend choosing a location for the Dropbox folder on the same hard drive as your operating system, since Dropbox won't work correctly if the Dropbox folder becomes inaccessible, which can happen if it's located on an external drive that gets disconnected. 

Should you decide to go per this option regardless, though, please follow these steps. 

Of course, we’re always here if you need further assistance! 

Warm regards, 
JaneA  

[mod edit 2023, updated Help Center link]

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

meremer
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'd like to move items off of Dropbox completely and onto my external HD, bypassing my computer altogether.

How do I do this?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Download them from the Dropbox website, and specify your external drive as the Save location in your web browser.

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Would you mind taking a minute of your time to fill out a survey sharing your experience using our Dropbox Community? You can access the survey here: http://bit.ly/2lNKIxT
Thank you!

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

rafest New member | Level 2
    abzalsl80 New member | Level 2
    lunabass Explorer | Level 4
    HareDraGon New member | Level 2
    avgmacuser Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?