cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

move contents of dropbox to external hard drive

move contents of dropbox to external hard drive

jayne
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

how do I move contents of dropbox

i.e my files and photos to an external hard drive

thanks folks

25 Replies 25

Alicia Devine
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

My internal hard drive on my Mac is nearly full. I want to download pics from Dropbox and store them in my external hard drive but after following the process explained on the Dropbox site, it's not letting me do that. Why is that. I have synced my new external hard drive to my computer and they seem to be talking to each other, so why won't the files download?  Help please? Many thanks.

avgmacuser
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello Dropboxers @sanchez, @jayne.

Like many many other Dropbox users, I use SMARTSYNC to keep my hard drive from filling up. Nevertheless, I want to back up all my files, including those that reside ONLY in the Dropbox cloud (due to SMARTSYNC) to an external hard drive. This is best practice for data safety: true backup safety requires that my files in the Dropbox cloud, that are NOT on my computer hard drive, must be backed up on separate medium. In my case, I want them to be backed up to an external hard drive.

The question is how to do this: how can I back up all the contents of my cloud Dropbox (including those files that are Smartsynced and therefore are not present on my computer hard drive) to an external hard drive.

Please do not tell me that Dropbox has great servers and I should not worry. Please do not tell me to change the location of my Dropbox to the external drive, as that is an unworkable solution, it´s not something one can or should do periodically, and it may screw up all my SMARTSYNC settings on my computers internal hard drive. Please give me, and the rest of the community, a straight answer on how this can be done.

I also wish to note that simply going on the browser version of Dropbox and downloading everything is a terrible solution: sometimes Dropbox tells you that you're trying to download too much, sometimes it just freezes, and I'd have to select manually each and every folder to back up, every time I need to do so. Since I have about 2 TB worth of data on the Dropbox cloud, this is unwieldy.

I have to say, I am on the verge of dropping my Dropbox Professional account, switching to the free one, and moving everything somewhere else since Dropbox seems to be purposefully preventing users from effectively backing up their data to an external hard drive, for reasons I cannot fathom.

HareDraGon
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Why would anyone voluntarily engage with Dropbox, knowing how impossible they make it to disengage . . .  This is a scam.  

lunabass
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I dropped Dropbox Pro in favour of Google Drive due to issues with external drives. Google handles external drives much better IMO.

Audio and video professionals need to use externals, sometimes we need to unmount them for transfers etc. It would be nice to be able to do that without thinking that Dropbox is going to register all files as being deleted.

Honestly, I'd sign back up if you could work out a better solution.

abzalsl80
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

http://nionsoftware.com/dbpahk/support

Here is a portable version of DropBox. I installed it on my office computer. Works very well. After installing it on your computer and creating the DropBox folder, you can copy the program to your hard drive and start synchronization. All of your files will be transferred to your hard drive.

rafest
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is an old question and it wasn't really resolved to my satisfaction until I answered the question myself. My issue was, I wanted to download some very large files directly to a hard drive. On many sites, when you click on download, you get a navigation window asking you where you want to download the files to. Dropbox doesn't do that. It defaults to your downloads folder. Now, my computer's internal drive hasn't got much space left and it definitely can't handle downloading all the files I need to get onto the hard drive, so I need to bypass the computer altogether. The answer lies in determining what the default downloads folder is for your browser. It is usually the Downloads folder. But you can temporarily change that. Go into your browser's preferences (make sure your hard drive is connected and powered up) then change the default downloads folder to the hard drive. Now, any files or folders you click on in Dropbox will download directly to your hard drive. Once you're done, change your default downloads folder back to where you had it. Done-zo!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

rafest New member | Level 2
    abzalsl80 New member | Level 2
    lunabass Explorer | Level 4
    HareDraGon New member | Level 2
    avgmacuser Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?