cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

move to external HD fail

Highlighted

move to external HD fail

New member | Level 2

Needing to free up C drive, and wanting to move Dropbox to External 5TB Western Digital.

I followed these instructions:

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/move-dropbox-folder

During the process, it said "moving", so everything seemed to be going well. 

However, after the process was over, I realized what really happened was it copied everything to my external HD,

and all my Dropbox files remain on my C drive, which remains the official dropbox syncing location.  

Any ideas and help is greatly appreciated.

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: move to external HD fail

Dropboxer

Hi @Rob H., thanks for messaging the Community today!

Generally, when the Dropbox desktop application moves the Dropbox folder to another drive, it should delete the original once completed.

Since it sounds like the C:\ is still syncing, then it means it failed to transfer the folder to the external drive. I'd recommend trying this again, and also quitting any apps which could be accessing the Dropbox folder.

If you need any further assistance, please let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Jay, thanks for the reply, I'll give it a shot.  I'll have to wait for the weekend since it takes 8hrs to move the terabyte.

i read on some other related thread in here that you have to create a subfolder and put the Dropbox in there, vs just the root directory of the external drive.  No one confirmed or denied that was correct, but it can't hurt to try.  

Highlighted

Dropboxer

When you move the Dropbox folder using the desktop app preferences, it will create the Dropbox folder, so you just need to select where the folder should be created. You can select the root drive if you wish.

You won't need to move it inside another folder called Dropbox (unless you want to), since it would be something like E:\Dropbox\Dropbox\test.txt.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?