cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: new Mac OS install; selective sync turned ON, but it's syncing everything

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I was replying to @Rk11 in regards to their reply (see above) @schwerd  - sorry for any confusion!

Also note that I already replied to your last email so please take a look at your inbox so we can keep working on this!

Thanks! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Unwanted files syncing to my Mac

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have selected only a few folders to sync with my MacBook Pro (macOS Mojave 10.14.4); however, any and all files that don't get assigned in Dropbox to a specific folder also sync to my MacBook.  Is there any way to stop this?

Highlighted

Re: Unwanted files syncing to my Mac

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @SweetPease  - how are you today?

I moved your post under this thread as it seems like your inquiry is in essense the same. 

Could you review the previous comments on this conversation and let me know if you still have any questions?

Specifically, as I understand that you're referring to individual files that are within your Dropbox account, yet, outside of your folders (residing in your account's root), could you move them into a folder and then have the folder selectively un-synced from this device? 

Let me know how it goes!

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thank you for your help.  

Yes, they are in the Dropbox root files.  Other people have dropped them there, so I don't know what files they would want them in, so, no, I really don't have the option of putting them into folders.  Does Dropbox have a fix for this?  No one who uses selective downloads wants these extra files... 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the clarification @SweetPease - that makes sense.

Note that Selective Sync works at a folder level -not a file level so the best option to accomplish that would be to have all of those files moved into a folder and apply the selective sync settings you'd like on the folder itself. 

In addition, moving or renaming a file will not affect the shared link that you generated, if that's what you were afraid of. This means that anyone who has access to the shared link will still be able to access the file if you move it to a different location in your Dropbox folder or if you rename the file.

Having said that and as I understand where you're coming from, I'll pass your comment on to the team for future consideration - thanks for your feedback on this one!

If there's anything else I can help with in the meantime, don't hesitate to let me know; I'll be happy to follow up. 

Walter

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

You guys are great; one of the most helpful forums around.   THANK YOU.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?