cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

on Windows Conflicted Copy creates untouchable files when it exceeds 255 chars

on Windows Conflicted Copy creates untouchable files when it exceeds 255 chars

nhhandyman
New member | Level 2

I had not been paying attention to all my 'conflicted copies' that were created by Dropbox... So many that  - well - Windows Explorer could not modify or delete the files.    They were all 255 characters in length but had "..." characters in the middle so windows took everything after the first "." as the extension.

I had to write a Java program to rename them to something shorter so I could then verify their contents with the correct app (password storage app).

Anyway - seems like Dropbox's file name truncation function when adding "Conflicting Copy" need to be looked at.  

3 Replies 3

Re: on Windows Conflicted Copy creates untouchable files when it exceeds 255 chars

spilly82
New member | Level 2

255 characters

Do you mean the length of the file or

the length of the file NAME is always 255

I've seen the three dots in filenames where the display window is too narrow for a long path & filename

If you RightClick/Properties you can see the entire name

I'm sure you'll already be aware of the absolute system limit on NTFS MAXLENGTH  (254 - I think) 

of the fully qualified filename, sometimes called the FullName

I once tried to help someone who named files summarising the contents, and broke MAXLENGTH easily

Avoid!

But If you're writing Java programs to fix such issues, I'm pretty sure this is news to you

You say "untouchable".   

Sounds like you're a Unix man

Please forgive me if I seem to be treating you as a newbie - no disrepect

spilly82

Re: on Windows Conflicted Copy creates untouchable files when it exceeds 255 chars

nhhandyman
New member | Level 2

The file name (and ext) are 255 (per Java Path::getFileName) - this does not include the path (device/directory) - and 255 is the max for NTSF

Windows explorer - the Filename field - when stretched so it is all visible had something like "Confl..(Conflicted Copy.abcd" so Windows would say it was a file of type "(Conflicted Copy.abcd" and not know what to do with it.

I attempted to move all of these (there were 12 of them) into a new folder - Windows Explorer would not let me drag them - or "cut/paste" them.

What can I say - I'm a geek and I needed to cleanup these files 🙂

spilly82
New member | Level 2

thought you might be (a geek);   I'm similar

Actually windows takes the last dot onwards as the file extension, not the first

File.DOCX.TXT would be handled by Notepad not Word

Are the filenames really that long?  255 is nearly an essay, unless the dropbox folder itself has a very deeply nested structure

The File explorer properties window separates Path and filename and each can be copied to the clipboard

The dropbox help says “Conflicted copy”, the editor’s username, and the save date will be added to the file name.

I guessed it would add around 40 characters to the original filename & extension

Allowing for path, that shd be way short of 255.

I believe File explorer doesn't cope with out of spec names

This link might help

https://www.howtogeek.com/283877/how-to-delete-files-windows-claims-are-too-long/

spilly82

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

spilly82 New member | Level 2
    nhhandyman New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?