cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

only part of my 3 hour work got saved in my excel chart

only part of my 3 hour work got saved in my excel chart

New member | Level 2

I worked on my internet connected desktop that also stores my dropdox data on hardrive. I worked for 3 hours on a humongous excel chart filling in cells here and there. I reopened dropbox this morning and it saved about 150 copies of my excel chart (literally likely every time a saved it). I opened the last saved copy of the excel chart and it only containes the work I saved in the last 5 minutes. It doesn't contain the other work I did the prior 2 hrs and 55 minutes. I also went to my laptop and found the same thing acessing my dropbox thru the internet. I tried to reopen any of the 149 other copies and it gives message that says "sorry we couldn't find. Possibly moved, renamed or deleted." I also went thru dropbox version history and it only offers 6 versions from 6pm to 4:45pm none of which contain the majority of the work I did.

What happened? Was drop box down? But wouldn't it save on my hard drive? How did it save the last 5 minutes of my work & not the prior? How can I get to file containing all of the work I did? Will this happen again????? I'm filling in cells in this huge chart and I have to have confidence that my work is being saved accurately. Did my computer get infeceted?? Why did it save so many copies of this excel chart??

Any help appreciated.

thanks, Laura

1 Reply 1

Re: only part of my 3 hour work got saved in my excel chart

Collaborator | Level 8

Oof. I've had that too. Stuff just conflicts and vanishes into a new document. The sad part is this is a common, unfixed issue. I have never been able to find the solution to the problem because Dropbox hasn't gotten back to me in my thread  on my problem with saving larger documents (just in Word), and none of the techniques that others have used work for me.

I'm so sorry. That's awful. 

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?