cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

opting out of Smart Sync

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have been a Dropbox customer for several years.  I using the the Business plus I think.

I was running out of room on my Microsoft Surface Pro tried Smart Sync.  In my opinion big mistake.  I should have just purchased a new computer.   anyway I need to turn smart sync off.    I read this article 

https://www.​​dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/filesystem-integration#optout

and am still lacking confidence to pull the trigger.   I want to have all files local.  I want to shut down Smart Sync.

If I follow these instructions will all files that are in Dropbox (cloud) load back onto my local drive.   I want all files to be put completely back on my local harddrive so I can work offline and most of all so I do not have Syncing occuring for long periods of time when I turn on my machine.

Help, thank you.

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: opting out of Smart Sync

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @viper031560 - welcome to our Community!

To cut directly to the chase, yes, this would disable the system extension that's utilized for Smart Sync to function and it should help make your files local.

In case they've been set to 'Online Only' and you'd like to make them local again, you can also right click on them and from the Smart Sync context menu, go with the 'Local' option (instead of the 'Online Only' that is). 

Just give enough time to the desktop app to sync your changes and you should be good to go.  

Keep me posted on your progress! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?