cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: .pptx files are supported but something went wrong.

.pptx files are supported but something went wrong.

akmakm
New member | Level 2

A powerpoint file has been shared with me in Dropbox but when I try to open it to edit I get the message ".pptx files are supported but something went wrong."  Tips to fix please? 

6 Replies 6

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Hi there @akmakm; welcome to our Community!

Can you please clear your browser's cache and/or try another browser?

If you get the same results, please send us a screenshot of the exact error you're getting so that we can have a look too. 

Thanks so much!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

akmakm
New member | Level 2

Hi,

In the same dropbox folder I have uploaded another powerpoint file and that one opens with no problems.  My guess is the size of the other one is the issue.  Tip to dropbox - would be great if the error message could be more specific rather than just saying "something went wrong" eg. "we can't open this as the file is too large - max supported file powerpoint file size is xxxMB.  

Thanks!

shan24
New member | Level 2

We have a Powerpoint presentation in Dropbox with a link to it on our site that our clients access when they want to give the presentation to an audience. But when they click the Dropbox link on our site, they see the error message ".pptx files are supported but something went wrong" and there is a Download box under that. So they can still download it, but is there any way to avoid them seeing the error message? I'm sure it scares some people away and does not look professional. The Powerpoint is password protected, but I'm not sure that is the reason for the error. Any ideas? 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @shan24, thanks for reaching out to the Dropbox Community.

Indeed, Dropbox doesn’t support files that are password-protected in other applications.

If you remove the password, does the preview work?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

shan24
New member | Level 2

Thank you @Hannah! Yes it does work if I remove the password. Is there any kind of workaround? What do people do with files that they need password protected?

What I really need to know is how to keep the file that has been uploaded to Dropbox safe so that it cannot be overwritten. We have had people make changes to the Powerpoint and somehow the file gets overwritten with their content. I'm not sure how this could happen.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

If you share a 'can view' link to the files, the recipients will only be able to view and/or download the content of the link.

Also, depending on your plan, you can actually password protect the link itself.

You can see more about shared link permissions here.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?