cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

prevent download on new pc

prevent download on new pc

heatherla
Explorer | Level 3

This is same issue as "Why were my online-only Smart Sync files downloaded?" in this forum. Brand new PC and Dropbox installation. Signed in, turned on Smart Sync, rebooted but files are still downloading. I don't want all the files on this PC; it should only download them when I want to open them.

5 Replies 5

Re: prevent download on new pc

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hi @heatherla, thank you for your post and happy Monday!

Can you please tell me if this is happening during the initial sync of the files, meaning, you chose to sync them as online-only, but they synced as local?

Or did your files finish syncing as local, then you switched them to online-only and they keep getting downloaded?

Let me know what you found!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

heatherla
Explorer | Level 3

They started syncing (downloading) right after logging on. I then went to preferences to turn on smart sync but they kept downloading for another 3-4 hours until all 86gb of files were downloaded.

Hannah
Dropboxer
Thanks for the additional info!

You can actually choose to sync your files as online-only during the installation process. Otherwise, once syncing starts, all the files will need to finish syncing.

Are you having trouble making them online-only now?

Let me know how it goes!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

heatherla
Explorer | Level 3

I did not choose Online Only during installation/initial logon. How can I get rid of the local copies without affecting the online files. This is a company account. Is it possible their admin settings will affect this?

Hannah
Dropboxer
Happy Friday, @heatherla!

You can still use Smart sync to free up the space the local files take up on your hard drive.

To do so, right click on the files in the local Dropbox folder, choose 'Smart sync' then 'online-only'. This will stop them from taking up space, but you'll still be able to see their names in the Dropbox folder. 

Let me know if you have more questions!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropboxer
    heatherla Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?