cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problems, big sur, dragging folders, delete for everyone message

problems, big sur, dragging folders, delete for everyone message

lynbannister
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, I've just upgraded to Big Sur and I can't drag folders from my portable drive into drop box any more. I get an error message saying action not supported. I can drag and drop individual files and i can copy and paste multiples. Also when I move folders/files from drop box to trash the delete for everyone message isn't there any more. I use drop box shared with lots of other team members and i need to know that they can only see the most up to date files. How do i make sure the files are being deleted?
I have removed and reinstalled dropbox.

thank you 🙂

17 Replies 17

Re: problems, big sur, dragging folders, delete for everyone message

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hi there @lynbannister, thanks for posting!

Would you mind sending me a screenshot of the error you're getting?

Also, since you're not seeing the prompt from Dropbox when deleting items, can you check to see what the app's sync status is showing right now?

Looking forward to your reply!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

lynbannister
Explorer | Level 4

thanks Daphne, image attched. another intersting development. It actually moved the folder but only the first file inside the folder and when i navigated into the folder to check what it had moved I couldn't use the back arrow to get out again.

its driving me bonkers!

update, if i click off the dropbox window and then click back again the back and forward arrows work again. but only once!

the more i try and use it the more muddled it gets.

Edited by moderatorEdited by moderator

Daphne
Dropboxer
Thanks for that screenshot @lynbannister.

Do you get the same error if you try copy and paste the folder instead of dragging it over?

How about if you drag and drop while holding the "Options" key on your keyboard?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

lynbannister
Explorer | Level 4

HI Daphne, yes same problem exactly. Same error message. And the folder does copy over but only copies the first file inside the folder over.
Being restricted to only one click on the back and forward arrows is very annoying! 😞

Daphne
Dropboxer
Out of curiosity, do you get the same error when you try drag the folder from the portable drive to anywhere else on your Mac, @lynbannister?

Also, from what I could see, it looks like you might be dragging the folder into the Dropbox app. Can you try moving the files to the Dropbox folder via your Finder window instead?

If you receive the same error, please try quitting the desktop app and trying one more time. If you're not familiar, you can close the app by:
  1. Clicking the Dropbox icon in your menu bar.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose "Quit Dropbox".

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

lynbannister
Explorer | Level 4

Hi daphne, Sucess! When i use finder to open dropbox the folder moves and takes all the files with it. The navigation arrows work and i get the message about deleting for everyone!

Good solution but i hate it when i can't do things the way ive always done them 😄

Many thanks.

Daphne
Dropboxer
I'm glad to hear that works for you @lynbannister!

The issue must be isolated to the app interface there.

If you'd like, I can suggest making sure you have the latest version of the app installed by downloading and running the installer from here, to see if that does the trick.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

lynbannister
Explorer | Level 4

tried deleting the app and reinstalling, its still exactly the same 😞

Walter
Dropboxer
In that case, you may need to perform a clean, advanced reinstall as well @lynbannister.

Just make sure to download and install with admin privileges upon that process. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?