cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Can't move my mac" Apple folder using up Dropbox storage

Highlighted

"Can't move my mac" Apple folder using up Dropbox storage

New member | Level 2

Hi everyone,

Hoping someone can help. I kept getting notifications that my Dropbox was running our of storage, even though I don't have a great deal on there. Then I noticed that my Dropbox contains an Apple icon named 'My Mac (INTHEMIDDLE's-Macbook-Air-2.local)' and inside it has three folders - Desktop, Documents and Downloads. Basically the three folders that I keep out of my Dropbox to preserve storage! 

When I try to move that icon to other folders, I get various error messages. I tried to move it to my 'Documents' folder but of course couldn't because I suppose my 'Documents' folder is inside the very folder I'm trying to move. Then I tried to move it to my iCloud Drive and got a popup saying 'This is a Dropbox feature so you can't move it.' 

I don't have automatic sync turned on so I don't know how that file got there in the first place, or why the folder appears as an Apple icon rather than a regular folder. Kind of apprehensive about deleting it in case it deletes all the documents and downloads it contains irretrievably. 

I was a bit lost as to where to even post about this issue until the popup said that it's a Dropbox feature. Has anyone experienced anything similar? 

Thank you!Screenshot 2020-11-21 at 11.52.41.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: "Can't move my mac" Apple folder using up Dropbox storage

Super User II

@InTheMiddle wrote:

... I noticed that my Dropbox contains an Apple icon named 'My Mac (INTHEMIDDLE's-Macbook-Air-2.local)' and inside it has three folders - Desktop, Documents and Downloads. Basically the three folders that I keep out of my Dropbox to preserve storage!

You have the computer backup feature enabled.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Super User II

@InTheMiddle wrote:

... I noticed that my Dropbox contains an Apple icon named 'My Mac (INTHEMIDDLE's-Macbook-Air-2.local)' and inside it has three folders - Desktop, Documents and Downloads. Basically the three folders that I keep out of my Dropbox to preserve storage!

You have the computer backup feature enabled.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Ah, amazing - fixed! Thank you so much. 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?