cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: "Can't sync 'parent.lock' (access denied)"? –_–

Claire G.10
New member | Level 1

Hi Sarah,

I'm really to hear this happened again and you feel like we've been dictating you what softwares to use. It wasn't the case, I can assure you that we don't want to intrude in your softwares choices.

The message you are receiving shows that a file, let's call it file.txt is being edited by another application, which turns it into file.lock (the .lock extension shows the files is locked).

Because the file is locked, Dropbox can't sync it. You'll have to wait for the say-application to unlock-it.

Dropbox can't lock or unlock your files, an other application does so.

I can't know what files are in your Dropbox nor what the parent file is, but if this happens only with that files and if you don't need it, I'd recommend dragging it outside of your Dropbox.

I'm very sorry we cannot fix it as this is out of our control but I hope my explanations helped.

Sarah Lasair Be
New member | Level 1

Thanks for the prompt reply.

And if it's out of Dropbox's control, then clearly it's not their fault. Thus, I don't blame them. 🙂 Thanks for the honesty.

I don't know what file it is, but the directory for it is 

/Dropbox/General/Computer Stuff/Programmes/Portables/PortableApps/PortableApps/ThunderbirdPortable/Data/Profile

and I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird Portable through the PortableApps.com platform. I'm using Thunderbird right now, so that's probably why the .lock file is existing, which would also explain why earlier—when I wasn't using it—it synced just fine.

Also, this happened with Mozilla Firefox Portable as well. At first, this led me to think that perhaps it has something to do with the fact that it's portable; but this doesn't happen with Opera Portable, or any other portable app I have on there. Which makes me suspect it's something to do with Mozilla products.

Thoughts?

---

EDIT: Fixed link, word spelling.

Claire G.10
New member | Level 1

Hi Sarah,

Portable applications often use databases such as SQLite databases and storing databases in Dropbox often causes issues 😕 not sure this is a good idea.

Anyway, I'd like to try something, could you please upgrade to the latest version of Dropbox v3.10.4 here: https://www.dropbox.com/downloading?build=3.10.4&plat=win&type=full ?

Let me know it this helped!

Sarah Lasair Be
New member | Level 1

It doesn't auto-update? ο_δ

Sarah Lasair Be
New member | Level 1

Also, it still occurs. The directory for the parent.lock file that couldn't be synced is

\Dropbox\General\Computer Stuff\Programmes\Portables\PortableApps\PortableApps\ThunderbirdPortable\Data\profile

It went away after I closed Thunderbird Portable.

Claire G.10
New member | Level 1

Hi Sarah,

I'd recommend not syncing applications inside Dropbox, do you think you can drag it outside of Dropbox when you use it?

That'd solve the issue 🙂

Sarah Lasair Be
New member | Level 1

That's more eliminating the issue than solving it, but okay. In any case, I'm not going to do that even though I could because that eliminates the entire reason I use portable apps: to have it available whereever I go, and I specifically use Dropbox because I don't want to use flashdrives.

Richard E.3
Explorer | Level 3

I continue to have several files being cited by dropbox.  

"Can't sync "file.name" (access denied) 

However these files have been remove days ago from dropbox in the cloud and  from the laptop trying to sync.   They still crop up as problematic.   Of the ones that have been removed from the cloud and the laptop -  they were data files  being stored and not in use by any program. 

Two files for example will not sync.  keeping an additional 24233 files from synching. 

"save_12-27-2010.xml"    and "2011-2-16-BR"  

Help. What do I do??? 

Sarah Lasair Be
New member | Level 1

@Richard_E.: That's odd. The problem has almost always gone away after I've taken the files out of the Dropbox folder. Two questions:

1. What file types are the other files?

2. What is the file extension for the "2011-2-16-BR" file?

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Need more support?