Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Can't sync" error after removing symlinks

Jeff R.6
Helpful | Level 5

After the change to symlink behaviour was finally implemented recently (for some reason on a Friday near the holidays -- but whatever) I have run into issues with using my Dropbox in any capacity.

After noticing the change, I deleted the symlinks I have in my folder and moved all the files into my DB folder, as was suggested. I then used the web interface to rename the "Symlink Backup Copy" versions of the folders to their original names (to preserve the version history of my files).

At this point the Dropbox app showed "Up to date" and everything seemed fine.

However, if I try to add or edit files in the previously symlinked folders (which are now firmly in the DB folder) I get a "Can't sync" error.

I've gone through the DB support chat and email and they have been entirely useless. It's been a week that nothing has worked and so far all I've gotten are two emails telling me that symlinks are no longer support and I have to removed them from my DB -- the exact thing the raised this issue.

Since there is no phone or higher level of support I now turn to you, the community for help in fixing this issue.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: "Can't sync" error after removing symlinks

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Did you try Unlink and link back the application to your account? So, the database will be rebuild and possible errors, there, gone. Let's hope this will do the trick for you. 😉

PS: To be honest, I'm not Dropbox representative.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Did you try Unlink and link back the application to your account? So, the database will be rebuild and possible errors, there, gone. Let's hope this will do the trick for you. 😉

PS: To be honest, I'm not Dropbox representative.

View solution in original post

Jeff R.6
Helpful | Level 5

A futher note about this issue:

The "tool"

https://www.dropbox.com/symlink_report

Still says I have symlinks in my Dropbox -- which I do not, they've been explicitly deleted on my machine(s) and I deleted the symlink files in the web interface too.

So something is funky on DB's end of this process.

Super User II
Super User II

Have you tried what @Здравко suggested and did an unlink/relink?

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Jeff R.6
Helpful | Level 5

This seems to have done it (it took an hour or so to rebuild).

Thanks for the help!

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?