cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

"Cannot share folder to invalid users"

Explorer | Level 4

From the dropbox website, when I try to share a folder to a (correct) email address. I'm getting the error "Cannot share folder to invalid users".

Does any one know what this means?

I've searched these forums and Google and can't find any mention of this exact error message. 

Screenshot 2019-11-07 at 14.43.27.png

8 Replies 8
Highlighted

Re: "Cannot share folder to invalid users"

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @joebewan, hope you're doing well today!

Since you mentioned that the email address is indeed correct, is the email address the one associated with the Dropbox account of the person you're trying to share with?

Can you try the following to see if you still receive the same error message when trying the same steps:

• Clear the browser cache
  • Try using another web browser
  • Try using an incognito/private browsing window

Let me know how it goes - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Daphne,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I'm not sure if the email address is associated with a Dropbox account or not. The email address I am trying to share to is a client of mine, and I don't know if they have Dropbox or not.

I didn't think that a Dropbox account was required in order to share a folder with someone (as per this page: https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/share/share-with-others)

I tried from a differnet browser in incognito mode, and got the same error message. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional info there @joebewan!

Are you perhaps looking to share the folder so that the recipient can view and download the files? If that's the case, the user indeed doesn't need a Dropbox account, but you will need to share the folder with a shared link instead.

If they need to be able to edit the files and collaborate on the folder with you then they will need a Dropbox account to do so. Should they need edit rights to the folder, can you reach out to them and see if they have a Dropbox account and the email associated with it.

Keep me posted!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Daphne,

OK thanks for the info. I only need them to be able to view the files (this is what I selected when sharing). I was aware about sharing via a link, I just thought that it would be nicer for them to get the email from Dropbox. 

Also I thought doing it this way would be easier for me to keep track of who has access.

I will ask them if they have a Dropbox account, and if not, I will use the link. 

Thanks for your help!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @joebewan!

I completely understand the logic there, it's definitely a good way to keep track of all those sharing recipients. 

Don't hesitate to get back to me with any updates you have on this, I'll be looking forward to hearing back from you.

Until then, have a good one!

Daphne

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

i just had this happen! I called my client and asked for a different email address and it worked. There's something wrong with the actual email address they gave you.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Daphne,

The issue with using the link is that there is less control over access to the folder. I have encountered the same problem as joebewan but do not want to use the link approach because that can be shared with anyone. 

The email address I am attempting to use is a valid email address insofar as I've used it hundreds of times for regular correspondence.  The vendor has said that they are fine with using DropBox although I do not know if they have an account.  

Any recommendations?

H

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @hugonaut, thanks for joining us here!

To share the folder by adding their email address to the folder, they would need to have a Dropbox account under that email address.

You're most likely getting that error message as they either don't have a Dropbox account, or they have one under a different email.

Without using the shared link instead, you'd have to ask them and make sure they have a Dropbox account that you can share with.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?