cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Couldn't Move 1 Item"

"Couldn't Move 1 Item"

Elsap
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello,

I have recently upgraded my Dropbox in an attempt to keep my folders organised. 

I am trying to move "Wavvy", "Vision Media Folder" and "Wavvy Story Score" into the folder "2044", but for whatever reason I keep receving the message "Couldn't Move 1 Item".

The same is happening regardless of whether I use an incognito. 

I have attached a screen shot. 

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Warm regards,

Elsa

Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 11.26.32 am.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Elsap,

Actually, you can't move any of the folder selected since all folder designated for move and the receiving folder are shared. Nesting of shared folder is not supported. That's where your error comes from.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Elsap,

Actually, you can't move any of the folder selected since all folder designated for move and the receiving folder are shared. Nesting of shared folder is not supported. That's where your error comes from.

Hope this helps.

TERRACE_87
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

It would be great if the error explained that.

Lynn McNamara
New member | Level 2

Agreed, but like most software, those explanations are always buried deep within Guides, etc.  I recently installed Dropsync on my Chromebook to help me download items to Dropbox.  Turns out the file extension isn't supported by Dropbox. So I tried deleting, moving, dropping and dragging ... all the usual solutions to get the file to disappear. No luck.  It's now frozen in Dropbox.  I determined I couldn't delete it because it's a shared file (owned by another person), and that's part of the issue.  Lesson learned.  At least I didn't try to sync the other 50 files in the same format that were available!  

TERRACE_87
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Today I learned that if you are trying to move files/folders from one location locally available on your computer (via selective sync) to another location not locally available, you will get that error message.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

TERRACE_87 Collaborator | Level 9
    Lynn McNamara New member | Level 2
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?