cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"DropboxTransport" file identified & quarantined as malware by Intego Virus Barrier

"DropboxTransport" file identified & quarantined as malware by Intego Virus Barrier

Explorer | Level 4

Macbook Pro, OS 10.13.6

Hi, my Intego Virus Barrier just completed a security scan and identified a file called DropboxTransport as malware. It's now quarantined.
I haven't (knowingly) updated or done anything to the Dropbox application - I very rarely use it - but it says it's up to date. It's possible that I updated Dropbox after the last security scan (it does it monthly) but to be honest I'm not sure. I do remember updating Dropbox some time ago.

Does anyone know if this file originates from Dropbox or did I just pick it up somewhere and it's pretending to be a Dropbox file?
In the meantime I'm leaving it quarantined.
Thanks in advance if anyone knows anything about this.

7 Replies 7

Re: "DropboxTransport" file identified & quarantined as malware by Intego Virus Barrier

Dropboxer

Hi there @DavidR2; welcome to our Community!

As I'm not quite sure if this is a legitimate alarm or a false positive, could you post a screenshot of where you've spotted this so we can have a further look into this? 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: "DropboxTransport" file identified & quarantined as malware by Intego Virus Barrie

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Walter,
thanks for replying.
Attached is a screengrab showing the Virus Barrier main interface and I opened the log-files too.
The Virus scans are more frequent I see, than I indicated in my post; so if there are Dropbox updates that are automatic or in the background then this may be a false alarm if Dropbox did that since the previous security scan on Nov 12. I definitely haven't manually updated Dropbox in that time; I remember updating Dropbox manually some time ago.
Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 15.15.36.png
Dave

Re: "DropboxTransport" file identified & quarantined as malware by Intego Virus Barrie

Dropboxer

Hi @DavidR2, since the Dropbox desktop application updates automatically, you wouldn't notice if there was a change to the app.

Since the location of the file is actually located into the Dropbox program itself, this is most like a legitimate file, and quarantining it is going to affect the app in some way.

Since we've not heard any other user experience these issues, it might be worth querying with the antivirus developer to see if they're aware of this.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Jay.
I'm not very tech minded but I noticed that the file looks like it was inside the Dropbox application. I know nothing about how the Intego software would identify some file as 'malware' but over the years I've got used to updated software needing other applications to 'catch up' so they can work together.
I'll contact Intego and see what they say.
Dave

Dropboxer

No worries, @DavidR2, keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 4

The issue now appears to be resolved.

While Intego support didn't specify that they knew of a problem specific to Dropbox I was told that there were new malware updates since yesterday and they'd had several false positive reports. So I did the new update, restarted and then "trusted" the Dropbox file as instructed by Intego Support. Dropbox, which had opened a box saying it couldn't open, is now working fine.

Thanks very much @Walter & @Jay  for helping out this non-techie old man. I just needed a nudge in the right direction of how to navigate the issue.
Dave

Re: "DropboxTransport" file identified & quarantined as malware by Intego Virus Barrier

Dropboxer

So exactly as I thought initially, this was indeed a false positive; thanks for keeping us in the loop, Dave. I'm glad to heat it's sorted now.

See you around the Community and take care!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?