cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

"Export" option has been removed from Ellipsis menu

Explorer | Level 3

Hi there,

We use Dropbox Paper as a way of running our carpentry workshop. Using a bunch of iPads, we have different Paper documents for different projects. On each paper document, we insert links to SketchUp files. Normally, our carpenters can highlight a file, click on the ellipsis dots in the top right, and choose the EXPORT option, and then select the SketchUp viewer app. This worked great, because it let us quickly give the builders access to files without them needing to dig through our dropbox manually, and could give a bigger overview to all the files needed for step by step instructions.

The newest update has removed this EXPORT and select feature, and now jumps straight to having the whole comment/edit keyboard come up. Longpressing just leads to an 'Open in Safari' and 'Copy' options - neither of which work. It also was great, because it stopped our crew from digging through and selecting the wrong files. Is there a work around this? This process still works fine on our iPads that didn't auto update.

10 Replies 10
Highlighted

Re: "Export" option has been removed from Ellipsis menu

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thank you for the detailed description of this issue @ONset_Arts.

Welcome to Dropbox Community! The export for Dropbox Paper docs should be working like it did in the previous version of the Paper mobile app. What version of the app are you running on the device facing the issue?

Are you trying to export the Paper doc it self or the files from the links you have added to the doc? 

Can you please add a screenshot of the options you mentioned you are getting to open in Safari and copy? 

Thank you! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi there,

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. In past versions, Paper allowed us to single click on the file, which would then open up file location in the Dropbox app. From there (inside the Dropbox app, we could use the elipsis menu to export the file into another app already on the iPad. With the newest update, the file link doesn't lead to dropbox. Single clicking the linked file leads to the menu pictured below, and I've included another screenshot of what it looks like with a long press. We've kind of built our workshop around this, so if I have to start setting up access teirs for each carpenter, it would be a drag.
IMG_0009.PNGIMG_0007.PNGIMG_0008.PNG

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

As of now, we can't even open up PDF's in the paper document. Please bring back this functionality :(

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Please let me know what happens when you do the following

• Click "Open" on your Pdf option? (This should preview your pdf.)
  • Click the "Add to photos" option? (This should export your pdf.)
  • Click "Print" on the doc options. (This should export and print the Paper doc from your device) 

If buttons are not responding, please try reinstalling the application. 

Looking forward to your response @ONset_Arts. Thanks!

Fiona

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Alright, I've reinstalled the app for a fresh start. We're running the newest iPad Air model, with the software  It's still not working as it used to. The "OPEN" button on the PDF doesn't trigger anything. It just makes a smaller icon show up (which can't be interacted with at all. The 'Add to Photos' option just saves a super low res version of the file to our camera roll... which isn't ideal when we used to be able to flip through pages and zoom without a hitch.

The 'Print' optoin just gives us a print out of the entire paper document - which isn't what I'm after at all. Clicking on a file link used to open it up in the Dropbox app, which then had an Export button for us to send it to other apps. Now that's all gone. 

We have access teirs set up so that the workshop users aren't able to dig around the files of Dropbox unless we link it to them on a Paper file. This was an ideal system, as they're not very tech savvy users and get confused easily.  

IMG_0016.PNGIMG_0014.PNGIMG_0012.PNG

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Does this only happen with specific pdfs?

Do you get the same behavior with other Paper docs?

Where the pdfs imported following the process you always follow? Is there a chance the files where attached differently to this Paper doc instead. 

Please try re adding the links to the files in the doc and let me know if it helps. 

What is the version of the Dropbox mobile app you have installed on your mobile. I understand you reinstalled only the Dropbox Paper mobile app. Correct? 

Apologies for the inconvenience this problem has caused @ONset_Arts. Once I have this additional information I will help you solve this asap. 

Thanks for your patience! 

Fiona

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Nope, across all files, nothing works. When you single tap on a pdf file, it just brings up the Paper Document editing mode - all I want to do it open it, not comment, etc. We also used to be able to preview the different pages of a PDF document within Paper. Sometimes the arrow menue for navigation will pop up (only sometimes), but it is never usable.

We're running Paper ver162.2 on the iPads which no longer work. We're running Dropbox ver162.2 as well. I've reinstalled both apps, and I've relinked the files - nothing is working. Paper is just buggy.

To link a PDF, I just use the insert button, navigate our Dropbox files, and click on the desired file. I've also tried to just upload the PDF fresh to the document. Nothing works.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Sorry to hear the issue is with all your pdfs. I will be more than happy to send this case and all the information you added here to our specialized Paper team. Let me know if I can use the address associated with your Community Profile to do that. 

Thank you. 

Fiona

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
Yeah, it's still glitchy. Please pass my details on. Sorry for the delayed response - didn't see this notification come through!

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?