cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Lock files option not showing for business user

Highlighted

"Lock file" option not showing for business member in Finder, but shows on the website.

Explorer | Level 3

As a business account admin I can lock files from both the web and in Finder on my mac. A team member can only lock files on the web, but not on Finder. The setting is set to allow all users to lock files. Is it only admins that can lock from within Finder?

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @KnightRider, I hope you're well today!

They should indeed be able to see the option to lock the files from the desktop Dropbox folder as well as the website, just like you are able to.

Can you check the current sync status of their desktop app? If the Dropbox icon isn't in the menu bar, then the app isn't running. You can launch it from the Applications menu.

If the app is running and "Up to date", can you let me know if you can see other Dropbox related items in the right click menu for their files? Eg. "Share" or "View in Dropbox".

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Yes, the app is running. You can see my screenshot here. So many of the commands exist, just not lock.

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 8.04.53 AM.png

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for following up so quickly on this @KnightRider!

Could you simply re-install the app on the affected computer and let us know if you're still not getting the option to lock your Dropbox files?

Let us know how it goes! 

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Is there a best practice to re-install the app to minimize the cycles on the hard drive for a mac? Will it remove all of the files and then re-add them? Or is it the standard move the app to trash which will I assume remove all of the files, then reinstall adding all of the files back?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

No, it won't remove any of your files (as long as they've made it to our servers already that is) - it would just -sort of- refresh the app and its visual elements without affecting the contents of your Dropbox folder. 

The latter would happen in the scenario of an advanced re-install (or even upon unlinking and relinking your Dropbox account via the desktop app on this computer). 

I hope this sheds some additional light here and I'll be waiting for your next reply to see where we stand with this.

Thanks for your swift reply and cooperation @KnightRider

Walter

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?