cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Open in Finder" and "Open in Word" not showing in *CHROME* OSX for Mac

"Open in Finder" and "Open in Word" not showing in *CHROME* OSX for Mac

DTC_London
Explorer | Level 3

I have exactly the same problem as in this thread: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/quot-Open-in-Finder-quot-and-quot-Open... Except multiple posts in that thread say the options show up in Chrome but not Safari. For me they do not show in Chrome either. I have tried incognito mode and that doesn't make any difference. I'm using: M1 Mac Big Sur 11.1 Dropbox v113.4.507 Safari 14.0.2 Chrome 87.0.4280.141 (arm64) I really need this functionality to work - without it the workflow is so inefficient that my whole business is considering moving to MS Sharepoint and closing our account with Dropbox.

6 Replies 6

Re: "Open in Finder" and "Open in Word" not showing in *CHROME* OSX for Mac

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @DTC_London; welcome to our Community and sorry to hear you're having issues with this. 

If this option doesn't show on files you've synced locally on your computer, you may want to have a look at this Help Center article.

Keep us posted with any updates!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

stendam
Explorer | Level 4

@Walter 

I have exactly the same issue. In both Chrome and Safari. I am running Big Sur. All latest versions
The proposed solution(s) (https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/open-button-issues) don't work.

I have already posted this in this thread: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Dropbox-M1-Apple-Silicon-Mac-quot-Open..., but haven't heard back yet. 

A real solution would be very helpful. I now have to look for the file by searching via the dropbox icon in the system menu. The attached menu in that case shows the 'show in finder' option.

Best, Sander

DTC_London
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for getting back to me. I have a company-supplied laptop, so I'm unable to change port settings.

Wouldn't a simpler solution to this recurring problem be to allow the shared url to be used as the search in the dropbox desktop app? So I copy the url that's been shared with me, paste it into the search box in the desktop app, and the app returns the file (in-app). From there I'm able to download, open-locally, whatever...

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @DTC_London, if it's a company managed device, then this could be the reason why it's failing, since the ports could be closed off.

While there isn't another method to directly access a file in this method, you can suggest this change for others to vote on, so the dev team can consider this!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

stendam
Explorer | Level 4

@Jay 
The issue is not caused by the ports. It is an Apple M1 issue. It should be easy to recreate the issue yourself. The reason the ports cannot be checked, does not mean it is automatically the issue. 

To make the problem clear. The open with button does not show (native) apps like Preview, Powerpoint, Keynote, etc. Nor does it show 'Open in Finder' option. This is a real issue for all involved. 

Thank you, Sander

Jay
Dropboxer
Thanks for feedback on this matter, @stendam

I've checked with the team and can inform you that they are aware of this matter and working on resolving it.

We appreciate your patience during this period.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?