Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

"Waiting to upload..." and other problems

Explorer | Level 3

Increasingly I've had the issue of photos stuck in "waiting to upload..." mode when trying to transfer images from my phone into various Dropbox folders. About 50% of the time now I can't get pictures to upload in a timely fashion or at all. Sometimes when I go in to repeat the uploading action it seems to trigger the original pictures to start uploading, but other times nothing seems to activate the process. I've also seen it where hours later suddenly uploading will begin. I use my photos in business so this is a big problem for me. 

Don't know if this is related in any way, but I've concurrently had increasing issues with timely syncing across my desktop, laptop, and smartphone. I've repeatedly had to quit Dropbox entirely on every device and then sign back in to get the application to update syncing. This never used to happen -- I've been using Dropbox for a number of years now and the problem is recent. 

Before advising me with the boilerplate advice about latest versions of Dropbox and clearing cache, please know that I am running the latest version of the program (as a paying customer, incidentally). And I've cleared the cache. These actions do nothing to solve the problem. Also I have a very fast fiber optic internet connection and I'm working in the same room about 10 feet away from the wifi router.

Thanks for any help.

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Re: "Waiting to upload..." and other problems

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @Marty06 , thanks for taking the time to run a few diagnostic checks on your end! Taking it from where you’ve left off, I wouldn’t suspect that the syncing issue you’re describing is relevant to the mobile uploading one, as you mentioned that you have a very fast connection & connectivity issues don’t seem to be the culprit in this particular case. 

For that reason, I’d like to treat the two issues separately. If it’s not too much trouble for you, can you clarify the following for me, so as to make sure I’m advising you correctly? 

Spoiler
#1. Are you getting the “Waiting to Upload” message when you’re uploading your photos manually, using the (+) button, have you enabled the Camera Uploads feature or are you getting that when you’re doing something else? Do the files sync at all after a certain point? 
#2. Following, as you’re mentioning that you can’t sync in a timely manner from your desktop either, then I’d like to point you to the syncing icons on the device causing you trouble that should help you paint a clearer picture of the matter at hand /. Are these loading as expected? 
#3. Last but not least, I understand that it might sound daft on my end (i.e. as you’ve already confirmed that you’re working on the latest version of the application & OS on your phone), however does that also apply for your desktop as well? Could you have a look on your system tray/menu bar for the Dropbox icon? If you hover your mouse on it, it should display the Dropbox syncing status & the Dropbox version you’re working on. Can you confirm that you’re running the latest Stable version of the application on your desktop (78.4.119) for me if that’s okay? 
Once I have these details, I’ll try to address your initial inquiry in a bit more depth. Thanks in advance for the time you’re devoting to gather this info for me & I’ll be awaiting your next message on this discussion! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
#1. I have always (meaning for years and haven't had an issue until recently) uploaded starting from the photo gallery on my phone (currently a Samsung S8 Active, but I've used this method on other models). Open the photo(s) and a choice of icons is available, including a connectivity icon. Tap that and an option is "Share With Dropbox". Tap that and it takes me to my Dropbox folder, where I select a destination for the pics. I have uploaded thousands of photos this way, not exaggerating. It's always been quick and foolproof until now.

#2. Desktop syncing seems random. Sometimes it works. Other times the blue circular syncing arrow shows for *hours* and seems stuck. Then it disappears, but nothing has been synced. Then, a day later maybe, everything syncs suddenly. And then there are the times I'll work on my laptop and the file doesn't show up on my desktop at all, unless I quit Dropbox everywhere and relaunch. (I never see the "not syncing" symbol, btw).  I know this isn't specific enough information to be very helpful, but a lot of the problem is that it IS so random. I never know whether everything's up to date, and given the fact that I work on my phone, laptop and desktop I really don't want to have to go check every platform to make sure things are up to date everywhere. 

#3. Desktop version of Dropbox is 78.4.119.

I look forward to any insights you may have. Just in case it makes a difference, I run BitDefender  and MalAware. Windows firewall. I also use NordVPN, but not when uploading photos.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the prompt reply @Marty06; let me have a closer look on this matter through our Official Support channel. I’ve now sent you a brief message & once you reply back to me there, I’ll review your account specifics & we can discuss your options together. Please have a look at your inbox whenever you have a bit of spare time & I’ll check back with you asap. Thanks again!

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Really bad.  A paying customer, lots of detail, and no follow up on the promised reply??

I'm looking for answers to "cannot upload videos from iPhone".  mobile app is brand new, IOS is one version behind (that SHOULD BE SUFFICIENT!!)

From forums, I'm seeing i may not be able to upload videos, via "Camera Upload", if I only have "DropBox Basic" - message was "Waiting To Upload".  I just tried "Save to DropBox" from IOS photos, that showed a different UI, so I was hopeful, but it seemed to fail/stop with no messaging.

This is really bogus!  If I'm not allowed to use a feature because I didn't pay enough, I'm ok with that.  Just DON'T have the app look like I'm setting it up, and then fail without messaging.  Unavailable options should be greyed out!

Argh!!  I do have a paid account, but this isn't it - I'm working on a less-technical friend's account.  

I have always been of the opinion that "you get what you pay for" and was happy to pay DropBox for their services.  But this is a really, really bad experience.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @KBittner, there shouldn't be any changes in functionality according to the plan attached to an account & I haven’t updated this thread with the Solution, since the ticket was closed on our system due to inactivity. 

If that’s okay with you, can you include a few mock screens (without personal info please)?

Also, can you try uploading these photos manually for the time being using the (+) button & let me know in your next message whether you’re getting the same/different results? 

Thanks in advance for taking the time to get going with the additional step above & please keep me updated on the outcome in your next message, so as to determine what’s happening together. Enjoy the rest of your day until we talk again! 

Jane

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I don't know if I'm willing to spend more time on this - I'll see how today goes.

We're pissed off, because above, you responded to Marty, they got you the additional info you said you wanted, then you wanted them to take MORE info, over in the support portal ... and without that additional action, you simply closed the ticket.

So I don't know how many hoops I'll have to go through, before actually getting some help.  In the meantime, after 3-4 hours of fruitless time spent the other day, I gave up, and found a non-dropbox solution for our initial need.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Sorry to hear that you're feeling this way @KBittner.

Marty has admittedly been very helpful in gathering all the requested info here, however whenever it’s more efficient to cross-check info on both ends, we (i.e. Moderators) create a Support ticket on our system & assign to ourselves. This can be closed because of inactivity if the user doesn’t reply back to us. 

Thanks for taking the time to work on that with me nonetheless & please let me know here whenever you’re ready to continue from where we've left off here. 

Jane

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?