cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Who's working on this file?"

"Who's working on this file?"

Explorer | Level 3

I recently uploaded some new files to my Dropbox account.  I sent a link for a folder (with a few of the new audio files in it) to a friend.  My friend does not have a Dropbox account.  When she clicks on the link I sent her, she is taken to a page where she can see the audio files in the folder, which she can download.  But instead of downloading them, she clicked on one of the files, and she could see a player with which she could play and listen  to the audio file.  And off the the right of the screen, is an area where it says "Who's working on this file?"  and "You may be able to see team presence and  who's currently viewing or editing, depending on the file's permissions."  And under these words is an image with a few people's faces in little circles, and it says by one of the faces that this person viewed 5 hours ago.  But I gave no one permission to work on any of my files.  And I only sent the link to this one friend.  I have my own Dropbox account and don't share administration of any kind with anyone.  How is it that this person can "work" on and view my files?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: "Who's working on this file?"

Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshot, @DragonDude. It definitely gives a better understanding of what you're seeing.

The section you're referring to is simply an example of what file activity would look like if you were signed into your account.

It doesn't mean that those users are real or that they are accessing the file in question.

I hope this helps put your mind at ease!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Dropboxer

Hello there @DragonDude, thanks for reaching out to us. 

Out of curiosity, are you getting the same behavior when you preview the shared link or the file itself? 

Let me know what you find, cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Not exactly sure what you mean?  This info shows up to the right of the file when someone who is not logged into Dropbox clicks on the file, after clicking on the url link for the folder.  I have attached a pic of what this looks like..

And does no one from Dropbox support every check these posts?  How long will it be before I get an answer to whether or not someone I am not aware is accessing my files?

dropbox file activity screen grab.jpg

Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshot, @DragonDude. It definitely gives a better understanding of what you're seeing.

The section you're referring to is simply an example of what file activity would look like if you were signed into your account.

It doesn't mean that those users are real or that they are accessing the file in question.

I hope this helps put your mind at ease!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks!

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?