cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"You don’t have permission to create a link to this file"

"You don’t have permission to create a link to this file"

Explorer | Level 3

Hi all,

I searched the forum and saw no real fix for the following issue, but to open a ticket, which I did. And than later read peple have open tickets for a month with Zero support. But at times have better luck getting support's attention by posting here.

So here we go..

I've had the account for 8 years or so.

I just upgraded to a business account, and am under the trail period.

So I uploaded a 15.5gig file of family vids for my brother to download.

The upload took ages. I was abe to create the link to share like I've done countless times before.

When he downloaded it, the password did not work, he could not extract the files.

But the original file on my end, the password does.

So thinking that it took 7hrs to upload, must of been some error during transfer, so just deleted the file.

Try again....

I renamed an unencrypted version of the zip file and uploaded it over night. Took about 4hrs. Again this one has no password protection/encrytion, and again about 15.5gigs.

I went to create a link to share it with him and I received "You don’t have permission to create a link to this file".

I uploaded a few small different format files, that were quick to upload, and those too would result in the same error message when attempting to create a link to share 'You don’t have permission to create a link to this file".

That was on my PC, went to my phone, same issue/result.

I see no notifications in my dashboard of any system related problems/notifications/restrictions with the account.
Forum or FAQ offer no help, considering I'm the admin of the account.
Please advise.

TIA

4 Replies 4

Re: "You don’t have permission to create a link to this file"

Dropboxer

Hi there @NYBK, thanks for posting your question here. 

I was able to find the ticket that you've submitted to our Support and have made sure to pass your comments along. 

I just wanted to ask if you are still having issues sharing your files?

If so, are you getting the same error message via the website by any chance? 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

thank you for the reply.

I checked several times over the weekend , including some time in the early evening yesterday.

And was still getting the same error.

Just got to my desk and going through messages, and so checked it.. and it works now!

So , geez, if I'm going to pay for this, I need to know what happened.

Why?

I've had a free account forever, and never saw this, it's always worked when needed.

The day I upgraded, and looking to pay, and move my 2nd large file, bang, errors.

But I don't see that I exceed any limit what so ever.

And it wasn't that one file, but anything I uploaded Friday and Saturday as a test, once the issue was encountered.

Dropboxer

I'm glad to hear that it's working for you now, @NYBK!

I'm afraid I'm not able to pin-point what could have caused it, but you can have a look at a few reasons why this could have happened through this link

Since you also have a ticket with our team, don't hesitate to get back to them with any account-specific questions you might have on this. 

In the meantime, if anything else comes up, just give us another nudge. 

Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the link, but makes no sense.. I never got a chance to share it, since it wouldnt let me make a link, so not too much traffic.

The article goes onto say, make another file, rename it, and so on.. small files I uploaded, resulted in the same error message.

So doesn't seem applicable.

Oh well.

I don't want to pay for a service , when mysterious outages  and random restrictions occur.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?