cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"check your internet connection and try again" When trying to share a file?

"check your internet connection and try again" When trying to share a file?

MarthinGrobler
Explorer | Level 3

Trying to share a file, but when I enter some email addresses I get the following messages ""check your internet connection and try again". Other email addresses works 100%.  Working on a Macbook Pro. 

54 Replies 54

NuggetMagic
Explorer | Level 4

I am having the same problem and I urgently need to share files with someone.

I use Dropbox all the time so I know what I am doing is correct. 

I created a folder and I clicked Share in order to share the folder with another person...

I entered the email address into the email section which turns into red coloured font when completed, and immediately beneath the email address section and above the message section a red bar appears with black font saying "Check your internet connection and try again". 

The internet is working for everything except for this, but it obviously has nothing to do with the internet. It hasn't even allowed you to try to send at this point. When you do try to send the message, it does not work.

I need to share the whole folder because there are multiple documents to share.

However, I did 2 other checks.....

The first was to see if I could share folders in my Dropbox with a new contact that I have already shared with others in the past, and I received the same error message. So nothing is sending.

The second check was to see whether I could send on an individual file within a folder, so I created a Test document within a Test folder, and I was able to send the individual document within the folder to a contact.... So there's been some kind of a block put on folders. I'd imagine someone was updating the Dropbox system and clicked the wrong button or didn't reverse their changes once they'd finished updates on the system.... I'd imagine it's an easy fix, but I'd guess the developers need to go into the folder permissions in the administrative system in order to make the change, or check the allowed permissions of certain types of Users / Customers which may have blocked them from sending Folders.

RicPennell
Explorer | Level 4

Same issue for me - wanting to share a folder and getting the same error when sharing from the Windows app - however I was able to share from the web version

Richard

blangela
New member | Level 2

I posted on page 3 that I am having the same issue. But the work around that has been mentioned several times worked for me and it was VERY easy.  So I must say I'm confused by posters saying that this is causing a major road block for them.

The work around is, again, to log into the web interface for Dropbox and share the foldr there.  It took me all of 30 seconds to do so, and most of the 30 seconds was spent seaching for the email address of the person I wanted to share the folder with. Easy peasy.

ElSid1
Explorer | Level 3

blangela,

Still needs to be fixed! Work around, using the web interface, did NOT originally work for me. It did today.

Problem is on Linux and Windows for me, add Mac for others. This is a bug.

G1nger0g
Explorer | Level 3

I found that I could share the folder using my phone but not my laptop.  Very strange and certianly nothing to with internet connection!!  

theITgirly
New member | Level 2

Has anyone had any luck with resolving this issue?

tagapiou
New member | Level 2

I am also now having this issue and it's causing a huge roadblock on the project I'm working on. I'm using the desktop app on Mac Mojave and trying to share folders. 

Jarek T.
New member | Level 2

When trying to add person to folder sharing Dropbox 108.4.353 on Mac shows message that user should check Internet connection. There is no problem with Internet - app syncs folders without any problem. I have simetrical FO 600 Mbps Internet.

simpleliquid
New member | Level 2

I am also having this problem.  I have two dropbox accounts and found that my personal account has no problem sharing but my work account (through my university) cannot share.  

I have Windows 10.  I could not share from the dropbox app on my computer nor from the windows interface (right click share from explorer).   I rebooted and the problem remained.  My dropbox app is up to date.  

Based on a prior post, I did manage to share the folder by being logged into dropbox on the web.  Once shared this way, the folders sync as they should. 

The dropbox is otherwise functioning correctly (sync'ing and sharing just fine).   Just can't invite someone to share. 

Please fix this. 

TK

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey peeps, thanks for your additional reports on this.

If you haven't already, could you submit a ticket to our team from this link, so that they can look into this with you?

Once you do, let us know the ID (eg. #1234567), so that we can pass your comments along.

If you have any trouble creating a ticket, just give us another nudge and we'll be more than happy to send you one.

Keep us posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    Righ Explorer | Level 4
    NuggetMagic Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?