cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"copy dropbox link" option missing

"copy dropbox link" option missing

New member | Level 2

After my organization added a dropbox business account, I had to upgrade the dropbox app on my windows 10 laptop. Shortly after that upgrade, which appeared to go ok, I suddenly lost the "copy dropbox link" right-click functionality on all of the files and folders in my personal dropbox! That functionality was a big reason why I liked the program in the first place, and why I pushed for us to add the business account too, so this is frustrating. I've uninstalled the Dropbox app twice now - both times the "copy dropbox link" option showed back up for a few minutes, but disappeared again as soon as I opened a few pictures in Dropbox. Now all I see from Dropbox when I right click on a folder are two "Send with Transfer" options.  Any ideas? I've been working with Dropbox support too but just wondering if anyone else has fixed this issue?

4 Replies 4

Re: "copy dropbox link" option missing

Dropboxer

Hi @RSutherland; thanks for posting on our Community!

I just checked on my Windows 10 laptop and I get the 'copy Dropbox link' normally for my files within the Dropbox folder.

If you have rebooted your computer and still get the same options, could you send us a screenshot so we can have a visual too?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

Hi Walter,

Yep, I've used "copy dropbox link" for years now with no issues, but suddenly it isn't working anymore. Attached is a screenshot showing what I see now when I right-click on a dropbox file or folder.

Rondropbox_error2.jpg

New member | Level 2

A couple more notes: I have a lot of files on dropbox, 230 GB and 58,000 files.

And the problem happened when I tried adding my organizational dropbox account to my laptop - this prompted an update of the dropbox application, and now it doesn't work. Makes me wonder if it is related to having two accounts on the same machine?

Dropboxer

Hey @RSutherland!

Having two accounts syncing with the desktop app shouldn't prevent you from being able to create a shared link.

If you haven't already, can you please reboot your device to see if that does the trick? This will restart the desktop app too.

If you still don't have the option then, please let me know what the sync status the app shows when you click the Dropbox icon in the system tray.

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?