cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

".jpg files are supported but something went wrong."

".jpg files are supported but something went wrong."

Brashley
Helpful | Level 5

Two years ago I uploaded my entire engagement photo album to Dropbox.  Today, when I tried to view the photos, I get an error message for each image: ".jpg files are supported but something went wrong."

I tried this on my phone and got the same message.  I have been unable to access the photos for 2 days.  Please help!  Does anyone know how to fix this?

38 Replies 38

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the additional info @GeorgeZoopy!

When you download the file locally, can you try opening the file in another app too? Such as Microsoft Paint or Photo Viewer?

For online, can you try the following to see if any of these steps shows any difference?

• Use another web browser
  • Use an incognito/private window
  • Clear you browser cache and try again

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

GeorgeZoopy
Explorer | Level 3

Dear Daphne,

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately none of the above works. I tried opening the files using paint, paint 3D, photoshop, movie maker, photos and snip & sketch and seems corrupted.

I, also, tried opening dropbox after clearing cache, from my phone, using incognito etc but the files are still corrupted. I, have, also tried repairing them using JPEG online repair tools but it was impossible.

Is this something that can happen in old Dropbox folders? Is there any way I can retrieve them?

Thank you 🙂

Best Regards,

George

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for trying out those steps @GeorgeZoopy!

It's not something that should occur if there haven't been any changes made to the files manually.

Could you check the version history of one of these files to see if there was any changes made to it? If you're not familiar with this, you can check out the steps here.

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

drunreal
New member | Level 2

Similar problem for me on my Samsung Galaxy S9+ with dropbox from Firefox.

The Dropbox App works fine though, only a problem when accessing folders with photos in dropbox from the Firefox browser.

And I don't have any '._' filenames, just files with dates separated by underscore. Format example:  2005_11_26_13_34_02-001.jpg
But several of the files with that same format CAN be viewed, so it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the underscores. Selecting Download 'Direct Download' on the error page will show the picture though. Albeit, not zoomable.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey @drunreal, thanks for nudging us on this thread. 

Out of curiosity, do you get the same error message when you try to preview the files from another browser? 

Let me know what you find, thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

macquelm
New member | Level 2

Has this been figured out? I'm using dropbox for my Etsy shop and one of my customers just messaged me with this problem! I've had a lot of other people download the same files with no problem, so I'm not sure why she's having issues.

macquelm
New member | Level 2

I just tried to look at the files on my own computer and am having the same error. I had tested the files multiple times a few weeks ago when I first listed my digital downloads on Etsy and didn't have this issue. I am still able to download the files, but this error is confusing my clients into thinking that something is wrong with the file. PLEASE have someone look into this! I might just have to use google drive instead to share these files...

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey @macquelm, thanks for reaching out to us about this and sorry to hear that you're having trouble with previewing your files. 

Out of curiosity, does this message persist when you preview it from another browser? How about after clearing your cache and making sure that you're not running any third party plugins/extensions?

Let me know what you find, thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Studiostriver
New member | Level 2

I having that problem, but with wav files. All of sudden i started getting the very same message. Very frustrating.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Studiostriver, thanks for nudging us on this thread, and sorry to hear that you're also having trouble with this. 

Have you tried previewing the files from another browser or an incognito window? How about clearing the cache and making sure that you're not running any third party browser extensions? 

Let me know how it goes, cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    AfterBuzz TV New member | Level 2
    Charl0tte1 New member | Level 2
    T-Wright Explorer | Level 3
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?