cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

random file deletions

random file deletions

Explorer | Level 4

I am having the same problem that I see numerous others have posted.  Files are randomly deleted without any user involvement.  I have contacted Dropbox support.  Only thing I got was the 'blame game' responses.  Files can be restored from the Deleted Files page, but that page just fills again with randomly deleted files and folders.  Today I restored some files, permanently deleted some older files.  I left an empty Deleted Files page.  When I returned that page was full again.  This occurred during a time when noone was working on ANY files.  Also I started getting notifications that Shared Folders were being removed.  I don't know which shared folders were removed (I hadmany) or if those folders can be retreived.

9 Replies 9

Re: random file deletions

Dropboxer

Hi @4insick; welcome to the Community and sorry to hear about this.

Could you please take a look at your events page and let me know what you find?

This is the place where all uploads, edits and deletions are normally logged, so it should give you a hint. 

Keep us posted on your findings! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for responding.

I did check my Events page.  It showed that the files were deleted fron my computer.  However I was not on my computer when the deletions were occurring.  Also, I did do a 'chat' with Dropbox support.  While the 'chat' was ongoing & I was not doing anything but the 'chat' I saw more notifications that files were being deleted. 

Dropboxer

It sounds like you performed some changes in your folder structure within your Dropbox folder on your computer and since syncing those through the desktop app can take some time, the deletions seem to have occurred at a time where you're not on the computer. 

May I ask what the app is reporting at the moment in your system tray/menu bar? 

Regarding the shared folders you mentioned, do you see the option to add them back to your account from this page?

Let me know what you find! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

This problem had been intermittent and becoming constant, so we have not been moving or re-organizing any folders. 

Two days ago I checked the Deleted Files page & found long list of deleted files.  I restored most of them & permanently deleted a few.  The Deleted Files was empty.  I left to run errands, didn't touch the computer for hours, then found the page full again! 

I looked at the Shared Folders page and don't see any place to add them back.  I dont' know which are gone & which remain. 

I have only been using the Dropbox website, not the desktop app.

Deleted files was empty yesterday, and is full again today.  I checked the desktop app & it is showing a lot of files being added and edited, even though I am not working today.

Dropboxer

Hey @4insick, thanks for the additional information. 

Just to make sure that we're on the same page, are these files part of a shared folder or are they in a personal/regular folder in your account?

Also, are the deletions happening from a specific device? 

Keep us posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 4

The files being deleted appear to be completely at random.  I don't have a way to check if the are files pulled from shared folders or not. The lists are long and the file names are not descriptive of the folder name.  Many of the listing are something like "IMG1234 and 83 other files".  An example from the Events page "You deleted 5434 files 6 hours ago" 

I get separate notifications that shared folders are removed.  The notifications are blips on the screen, one after the other.  This does not happen as frequently as the file deletions. 

Especially over the past week or so I have to check the Deleted Files page and restore all of them. 

Only use 2 devices - a Mac-OSX and a Windows 10. 

Dropboxer

If the deletions are happening from a specific device, it could be that the cause is due to a third party app.

Do you by any chance have another cloud provider, or have given another app access to your Dropbox folder? 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 4

No I do not use another cloud.  I have used the same configuration successfully for years, then started having this problem a few months ago.  FIrst time restored everything and thought it was a one-off.  Now persistent issue.

Dropboxer

In this scenario, the best method we can suggest to find out what is causing the deletions is to temporary stop other apps from running on your device one at a time until this no longer happens.

Since the events showed that they were deleted from the computer, there is something causing the deletions from that device.

Would you be able to disable any other third party apps on your computer and see if you still see deletions over a 24 hour period? You can even do this a few at a time or individually to see if you notice any difference in the behaviour.

Hope this helps!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?