cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

renamed folder shows former name when shared

renamed folder shows former name when shared

greta2
Explorer | Level 3

A folder has been renamed, from Diligence December 2020 to Diligence March 2021.

A new person has been invited to view the folder.

The link automatically generated by dropbox says the name of the folder is the former name, Diligence December 2020!

How do you ensure that the correct, updated name of the folder appears in the invitation?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: renamed folder shows former name when shared

Mark
Super User II

Yes, you would need to create a new folder, move all the files in to it  and then share that with everybody if you them to have that name. But, remember - they can change the name themselves... to anything they want.

The reason it keeps the first name given is that anybody, at all, who has that shared folder can rename it or move it as they like. So you cannot then change the name yourself. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark
Super User II

You need to create a totally new shared folder @greta2 

https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/share/rename-move-shared-folder

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

greta2
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your quick reply. I don't understand the purpose of renaming folders then! If I understand the suggestion solution correctly, it is necessary to create a new folder with the correct name and then copy all of the material from the old folder and all of its sub folders into the new space? 

What is the purpose of renaming folders if no one is able to see the new name?

Mark
Super User II

Yes, you would need to create a new folder, move all the files in to it  and then share that with everybody if you them to have that name. But, remember - they can change the name themselves... to anything they want.

The reason it keeps the first name given is that anybody, at all, who has that shared folder can rename it or move it as they like. So you cannot then change the name yourself. 

View solution in original post

DaveNuck
Explorer | Level 4

Wow..... Not good.   You may want to reconsider this.

When I share a folder, I want it to look like it does for me.

Just because I changed the folder name (weeks ago), my team should not get old information.

This was kinda uncomfortable for me today.

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?