cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

replace "Symlink Backup Copy" with files

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Dropbox community,

I had a symbolic link from Dropbox/music to a directory. With the new symlink policy It has now been replaced with

"Dropbox/music (Symlink Backup Copy)".

I now have a larger home disk and have replaced the symlink "Dropbox/mucic" with the actual files. Will

1) dropbox know to start syncing the new directory contents?

2) should I change the name from "music (Symlink Backup Copy)" to "music" or will dropbox do that

3) I really hope there is a way to do this so I dont end up with two directories "music" and "music (Symlink Backup Copy)"

it was a long haul getting the data up there in the first place.  I eventually got a message 

"Uploading 2,015 files (97 days left)", before that I had messages like "a long time, go and get a Snickers"

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: replace "Symlink Backup Copy" with files

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @rob d.1 , welcome, and thanks for reaching out on our community. 

To make sure I have a clear picture of the current setup, please tell me: 

- Is the "Dropbox/music (Symlink Backup Copy)" folder visible online only? The default behavior, when it was set as Backup, would be to have it un-checked in your Selective Sync settings, meaning that it wouldn’t be syncing to your computer. 

- You have moved your entire Music directory into your Dropbox folder on your computer? If so, this folder should start syncing to your Dropbox account online. This will indeed result in two directories: "music" and "music (Symlink Backup Copy)". 

What I would do: 

- Do not put the “music” folder into your computer’s Dropbox folder

- Go to your account online, and rename the "music (Symlink Backup Copy)" to just “music”

- It will then begin to sync down to your computer. 

- Once it’s fully synced, add files to it so they’ll sync up to the cloud (your account online)

I hope this helps, and I hope I’ve made sense! Let me know.

Cheers

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @rob d.1 , welcome, and thanks for reaching out on our community. 

To make sure I have a clear picture of the current setup, please tell me: 

- Is the "Dropbox/music (Symlink Backup Copy)" folder visible online only? The default behavior, when it was set as Backup, would be to have it un-checked in your Selective Sync settings, meaning that it wouldn’t be syncing to your computer. 

- You have moved your entire Music directory into your Dropbox folder on your computer? If so, this folder should start syncing to your Dropbox account online. This will indeed result in two directories: "music" and "music (Symlink Backup Copy)". 

What I would do: 

- Do not put the “music” folder into your computer’s Dropbox folder

- Go to your account online, and rename the "music (Symlink Backup Copy)" to just “music”

- It will then begin to sync down to your computer. 

- Once it’s fully synced, add files to it so they’ll sync up to the cloud (your account online)

I hope this helps, and I hope I’ve made sense! Let me know.

Cheers

Sanchez

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Sanchez, thanks for that. Followed your directions and it all works OK.

Bye

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey, @rob d.1, glad to hear that. Thanks for getting back to me to let me know. Take care!

Sanchez

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Polls
Have you been keeping up good habits while working from home?
We've created a working from home cheat sheet to help keep up on those habits, check it out here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?