cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restore files to computer and delete from dropbox

restore files to computer and delete from dropbox

Explorer | Level 3

how can I restore files from dropbox back to my computer without weblock and the delete them from dropbox without deleteing from my computer

13 Replies 13

Re: restore files to computer and delete from dropbox

Dropboxer

Hi @tempe, thanks for contacting us!

If the files were deleted within the last 30 days, you should be able to recover them from the Dropbox site here

Regarding deleting them without deleting from your machine, this wouldn't be possible, unless you mean moving those restored files out of the local Dropbox folder.

This would keep the files on your machine in the new location you move them to, and also delete the files from the site.

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

deleting files

Explorer | Level 3

still stuck when I move the folder out of db and on to my desktop and then delete it from db it still deletes it on my computer

I want to have it back on my computer and out ot db how do I do this?

Re: deleting files

Dropboxer

Are the files going back to the Dropbox folder, even after you move them out?

Once moved out of the folder, they should automatically delete from the site, and remain on your machine.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

I move the files out onto desktop and the delete them on db. when i try to open them on desktop they are missing 

Dropboxer

It sounds like you're not moving the files onto the desktop from out of the Dropbox folder.

Could you try moving them to another location instead and see if they open?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

I cannot move the file except by drag and drop to desktop because my storage is over full and they want me to by more storage which is why I am trying to get the file off of db    still when I move it to desktop it deletes from desktop when I delete it from db what a scam I wish I never opened db

Dropboxer

Could you clarify what you mean by 'move to desktop'? Are you moving it to the desktop folder itself, or into another folder on your desktop machine?

Are you not able to drag the files to anywhere else apart from the desktop folder?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

I drag and drop the files from db outside to my computer screen that is the only way that db will let me move files without buying more storage. they dissapear when I delete from db

Dropboxer

In order to understand exactly what you're seeing, could you attach screenshots showing where you're moving the files from and to where the other location you're dragging them?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?