cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restoring deleted folder on my ipad - can’t find “version history”

Highlighted

restoring deleted folder on my ipad - can’t find “version history”

Explorer | Level 3

Somehow a folder was deleted today just by my touching the name in the dropbox app on my iPad.  I need to restore restore it.  I have tried to follow the restore instructions but “version history” doesn’t appear when I click on the checkbox next to the file.   I have “Basic” Dropbox and no computer, only an iPad.

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Re: restoring deleted folder on my ipad - can’t find “version history”

Dropboxer

Hey there @bskarol

If you deleted a folder or file, can you try restoring it by following the steps below?

1. Sign in to dropbox.com.
  2. Tap on the Files in the left sidebar.
  3. Click on Deleted files in the left sidebar.
  4. Locate the deleted file or folder you want to recover.
  5. Select Restore.

If you're still having trouble with this even after these steps, please don't hesitate to get back to me.

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your response Lusil but the most recent dropbox app on my iPad IOS 11.2.6 has a magnifier and a chech box at the top of the leftside column.  When I tap on the check box at the top check boxes open next to each file.  When I check the box next to the file that holds the deleted folder it doesn’t show a “deleted files” option.  All that happens when files is checked next to a file is a line at the bottom of the left sidebar opens that offers the following:  “delete” “export” or “...”.  When i tap on “...” a box opens to the right with options as follows:   copy link, share, manage access, make available offline, add to starred, export, show in folder, rename, copy, move, delete.

Highlighted

Super User II

You don't do this within the app on your iPad. You need to do it using the Dropbox website.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6
I went to Dropbox.com (website) using my iPhone (not using the app). As if I’m using my MacBook Pro. I tapped the hamburger icon on the left side, clicked files, no recent deleted option? I’ve done this before using iPhone just like above (Dropbox.com). Any suggestions?

Note: @Rich I wouldn’t think the need to search Dropbox.com recent delete or use the https search (https://). And I would think no one would think of using that. But good that you put that. I haven’t clicked on it yet
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi there @virtue, thanks for reaching out to us!

When you navigate to the Files tab on the Dropbox website, whether it's from a computer or a mobile, you should see the Deleted files tab.

In there, you should find the most recent deletions at the top, with older ones as you go down that list. You can also filter them to include only a specific date range.

Depending on your subscription, you can see files deleted up to 30 days (Basic and Plus) or 180 days (Professional and Business). You can find more info about this here

Let me know if this helps!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Why is it not possible to do this via the app? What is the point of signining in via browser Wien I already signed in via the app?

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @Davidofff, thanks for nudging us on this thread. 

You are right, currently there's no option to find the deleted files tab directly from the desktop app or the mobile app. 

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us though, it's greatly appreciated. 

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to give us another nudge. In the meantime, I hope you have a lovely day ahead!

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?