cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We're back with another cheat sheet to make your 2022 easier than ever! Check out our tips here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: searching dropbox

searching dropbox

markhutch
Explorer | Level 4

This seems to be such an obvious thing to try to do but I just can't figure it out. Hoping someone here knows the answer.

How can I search dropbox (within the browser - not files that are sync'ed on my computer) for a specific file?

I'm trying to locate a file called x-button* - where the * could be any number of characters.  However, search for x-button or "x-button" or 'x-button' produces results where the file or folder contains x or button and file contents that contain either.

In other words, useless. It should produce a list of one or two files in various folders, but I get hundreds of false results. 

Is their some magic formula for restricting dropbox search to ONLY files and not content and search what I'm actually searching for: x-button, not x or button?

4 Replies 4

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @markhutch, thanks for joining the Community!

The search bar on the Dropbox site and app doesn't include wildcards, so the * wouldn't make a difference in locating files.

Do you know what extension the file has? You could try adding that to the search to see if it helps locate the file.

You can also navigate to a specific folder to do a search for any files within that folder. 

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

markhutch
Explorer | Level 4
I was aware the * wasn’t a valid wildcard. I was just trying to describe what I was looking for. Just don’t understand these days with so many frameworks available and it is a pretty basic feature on “lesser” sites.

I expect more and better of Dropbox

Jay
Dropboxer
If you wish, you can suggest this change for others to vote on, so the dev team can look into this possibility in the future!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

markhutch
Explorer | Level 4
Thanks jay. I will do that
Need more support?