cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

security concern: my full name appears on public folder links!

security concern: my full name appears on public folder links!

parsley
Helpful | Level 5

I recently shared a video from my public Dropbox folder - I copy/pasted a link to the video.

When I shared the video w a friend, they pointed out that my full name shows up on the video link!! That's very concerning seeing that it's in the public folder which I would expect the Dropbox team to take appropriate precautions for maintaining my privacy - especially if I shared a file from my public folder.

Interestingly that doesn't come up when I check on my laptop. But I just checked the link on my phone, and I see my full name! See attach a screenshot below.. (I blocked out my last name and the file name, but you can see my name shows up in the circled area)

Does anyone know to remove my full name when sharing a link like this through my public Dropbox folder?

Screenshot_20200731-185738.png

3 Replies 3

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @parsley, thanks for reaching out to us here!

There isn't currently a feature that would allow you to hide this when sharing a link to your Dropbox files.

As a workaround, I can suggest changing the name on your account in your account settings here while sharing links publicly.

If you'd like to, you can also post a request for a feature like this within our dedicated area of the Community here, where others can upvote the post to show their support.

Sorry that I can't be of much more help with this, but please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

parsley
Helpful | Level 5

Hi @Daphne!

Thanks for the workaround - that's a great idea. So that solved it.  good point: the name on my account doesn't have to be my full name.

But it would be a cool feature though.. to enable an option to change your name on different shared files/folders - or at least items in the public folder to default as "anonymous" or "private" or even just "nothing" ..since you know, it's a "public folder".

I guess we'll let the bots pick up this one:  @idea #idea #request #featurerequest #suggestion #improvement #security #update #upgrade ..any other keywords I'm forgetting?

Thanks for your help 🙂

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

I'm glad to hear that helped @parsley!

We wouldn't be able to track the feedback for your request from here, we have the dedicated section of the Community to allow us to track the support a request receives.

If you'd like to have this as a request then you would need to post it there.

Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    parsley Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?