cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

selective sync issue

selective sync issue

captjoe777
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I want to use Dropbox Basic to just have a way to share a file with friends...copy the link to the file and email it to them...

Problem is Dropbox want to sync My PC and  Documents and Downloads.

I  can use selective sync and uncheck Documents, uncheck Downloads, and uncheck My PC.  Only foilders left on dropbox should be my Public folder.  But, when i click Update, then apply, I still get the Out of Space message...then I go back into Sel;ective Sync and MY PC folder and Documents and Downloads are still checked, even though I saw them unchecked earlier.

I don't want to sync ANYTHING other than my PUBLIC Dropbox folder.

Thanks!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @captjoe777, thanks for messaging the Community!

It sounds like you enabled the automatic computer backup feature in the Dropbox desktop application. Could you first try disabling the computer backup from Dropbox using the steps in the above article to see if this helps?

Afterwards, you can move the folders and files back to their previous locations, which will also delete them from the Dropbox account online.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @captjoe777, thanks for messaging the Community!

It sounds like you enabled the automatic computer backup feature in the Dropbox desktop application. Could you first try disabling the computer backup from Dropbox using the steps in the above article to see if this helps?

Afterwards, you can move the folders and files back to their previous locations, which will also delete them from the Dropbox account online.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

captjoe777
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
That was the issue...thanks for the quick reply!!😊😊

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Not a problem, @captjoe777! If you need any further assistance, please let me know.

Enjoy the rest of your week!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

captjoe777
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hey Jay...

I'm trying to do the same thing I did on my iPad but now trying to do it on my Surface Pro 4 laptop.  I've followed the steps but I'm still running out of space?  It looks like it's still trying to back up my Surface....I have 3 folders in Dropbox...called 

1. 1Password.agilekeychain

2. My PC (Joe-Surface-Pro-4)

3. Public

How do I stop Dropbox from having the My PC folder?  Again, all I want in Dropbox is the 1Password folder and the Public folder.

If i try to delete the My PC folder it starts making changes ON my Surface.

Thanks!!

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Did you have the computer backup feature enabled on another device, or this same one? If it was a different PC name, then it sounds like you've enabled computer backup on your Surface Pro as well when you installed the app. Try the steps in my earlier post to disable it completely. 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

captjoe777
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I am really getting frustrated with Dropbox...It's malways trying to sink my laptop's Desktop, Documents and Downloads folders.  I DO NOT want that...I've followed previous advice and went to my settings, preferences and said I do not want any laptop folders synced.  All I want to sync is the Dropbox Public folder.

The problem seems to be whenever I go to preferences, backups it says "set up" as if it is NOT set up yet...that's good....I don't want it set up.  But if I click on Backups those three folders are checked...so I uncheck them and save and apply.  However right now Dropbox is trying to sync 18 GB of music that is on my desktop.  WHY is it doing that?

About to switch to Google Drive.

All I want Dropbox for is to be able to share a large file that is too big for email.

Thanks!!

cfrphoto
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

You mention files and folders being moved around. Which files and folders? Are the original files and folders left undisturbed? Are you talking about files and folders captured in the Dropbox folder?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

cfrphoto Explorer | Level 4
    captjoe777 Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?