cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: selective sync on ipad?

selective sync on ipad?

karen h.3
New member | Level 1

Is this possible? I know how to selectively sync on my computer, but I can't figure out how to do so on my ipad. HELP!

54 Replies 54

Rick A.5
Helpful | Level 6

Old thread but I'm also going to point out that despite not using storage on the iPad, tablets are typically used by everyone in a given household. In my case, I'd prefer that my work-related files, my banking info and other personal data not be available to all users. There's always the off-chance that they might delete one of them or that there may be some information in one of the files that I want kept private. Selective sync isn't just useful for storage issues. I just upgraded today to Dropbox Pro and I'm deeply disappointed that this feature doesn't exist for iOS. I'm going to have to remove the app from my family iPad until the feature is available.

Rich
Super User II

There's always the off-chance that they might delete one of them or that there may be some information in one of the files that I want kept private.

Secure the app with a passcode in Settings.

Rick A.5
Helpful | Level 6

Didn't even know that was a possibility. Thank you! This saves me so much hassle. 

Although I still think selective sync would be a better solution. Just want to stay on record that I think it should be added to iOS eventually, although passcode-locking the app will work for now.

Mikhail S.3
New member | Level 1

If selective folder sync was an unique concept then I would understand the resistance from Dropbox. But this feature already exists on Dropbox for Windows, OS X and Linux variants. The constant re-phrasing of the same, canned responses and rewording the same question doesn't give us much hope that anyone is actually listening.

It seems that what most of the users here are asking is for same exact feature that's available on PC; selective folder sync.

We just want to be able to choose what folders get synced to the mobile device.

"Secure the app with a passcode in Settings."
That still doesn't enable selective folder sync. Setting a passcode will only lock people out from accessing the app, it does not enable organization.

Let's say I have a Dropbox account on three devices; my Macbook, my daughter's phone and my wife's iPad. We all sync photos that Dropbox grabs from the camera/gallery/downloads/etc.
I also store lots of drawings, documents and photos from my work. And my wife and daughter use Dropbox for school and hobbies. I don't need to lock them out, they're all responsible adults.

We all use the same Dropbox Pro account because we have lot's of storage and is very convenient. My wife and daughter don't need (or want) to see my work files. I don't really care what things my daughter and wife save to their folders. Now, on my Macbook, I can simply uncheck the files I don't want synced and they won't show up. The problem is Dropbox on our mobile devices.
My daughter is always saving and deleting her school work or photos of her friends, etc...add in all of my work files and personal backups that I constantly update, and now Dropbox on mobile is extremely cluttered.
None of us would deliberately delete each other's files but because there is no way to organize the mess, it's just always a possibility.

I use a Dropbox Pro account with some of my colleges. We use a passcode on all our devices that have a Dropbox account but that is only to keep unwanted users out. We need to be able to pull up Dropbox and go directly to the information we need to, in any given moment. We don't really have the time to stand around with a customer for several minutes saying "just a few more minutes sir". Our customers are not as patient as yours Dropbox.

Rich
Super User II

It seems that what most of the users here are asking is for same exact feature that's available on PC; selective folder sync.

But that feature is only needed on devices that store your data. It's purpose is to prevent folders from syncing to a computer. As a mobile device does not sync folders, Selective Sync is not needed.

We just want to be able to choose what folders get synced to the mobile device.

Folders do not get synced to a mobile device. A mobile device does not sync data like a computer does therefore there's no need for the same feature that the Dropbox computer clients have. You want to be able to control what data is stored or not stored on your mobile device, but Selective Sync IS NOT that feature. It would be a completely different feature with a different purpose from what Selective Sync is and what it's purpose is.

"Secure the app with a passcode in Settings."
That still doesn't enable selective folder sync. Setting a passcode will only lock people out from accessing the app, it does not enable organization.

It wasn't suggested as a means of providing Selective Sync. It was suggested as a means to prevent others from accessing your data, which Rick was unaware of.

Barry R.3
Helpful | Level 7

Mikhail, Well said!  I have a feeling no-one is listening on this site. I've been waiting a year now, and nothing has happened.

Dropbox, are you there?

Barry R.3
Helpful | Level 7

Rich R. I think there are two different issues being confused here. 

Application 1

The ability to  selective synch a folder on the dropbox cloud to IOS so you can have a local copy and also can have your local folder changes automatically propagated to your master dropbox folder and vice versa

Application 2

The ability to protect files downloaded (copied) from the dropbox cloud.

The majority of people here are asking for application 1, which is what this thread is all about: dropbox's main core function. There are other ways of achieving application 2, and we do not need dropbox for that.

Hugo E.1
Explorer | Level 3

Barry, I would add another one:

Application 3

The ability to selective synch folders even if it is just for reading from (and not writing to) the files. The way it's done is a mess.

Let me explain better: suppose you have a folder called Tech Articles that contais lots of PDF files. And then you have a folder called Vacation Maps where you put some Google Maps screenshots. You have also a Old Books folder with loads of PDFs. And some more folders with some interviews recorded as mp3 files.

With selective synch all the files are listed in a single list, with no folders whatsoever for you to navigate through. Just a huge list of PDF, MP3 and PNG files.

If you want to find a given PDF you will have to sort it out from hundreds of other files.

Rich
Super User II

With selective synch all the files are listed in a single list, with no folders whatsoever for you to navigate through. Just a huge list of PDF, MP3 and PNG files.

That is not Selective Sync. It is Offline Files.

Hugo E.1
Explorer | Level 3

Rich, yes, you are wright, I confused the terminology. But the rest still makes sense, doesn't it? Thanks for pointing that out.

Need more support?