cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

server error

Highlighted

server error

Explorer | Level 4

I am getting a server error when uploading a file that is 3.27 gigs. I have been uploading that size file for months, but only recently started getting that error. I have had the same amount of storage the entire time (2 g) and I am uploading to a folder that was shared with me by another organization. Why is this happening all of a sudden?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: server error

Dropboxer

Hey there @kj101; welcome to our Community!

If this is a shared folder indeed, you'll need to have enough quota in your own account for the upload to finish normally since shared folders take up space in each member's account, unless they're all part of the same team account. 

If you need to upload to this organization's account directly without impacting your own quota, you can ask them to open up a file request for you instead. 

I hope this clears things up a tad and please let me know if you have any more questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey there @kj101; welcome to our Community!

If this is a shared folder indeed, you'll need to have enough quota in your own account for the upload to finish normally since shared folders take up space in each member's account, unless they're all part of the same team account. 

If you need to upload to this organization's account directly without impacting your own quota, you can ask them to open up a file request for you instead. 

I hope this clears things up a tad and please let me know if you have any more questions. 

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Awesome, thank you!!!

Highlighted

Dropboxer

No biggie @kj101; I'm glad we got this sorted out 

Have a lovely week ahead and see you around! 

Walter

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Hey Walter, 

I was wondering if you also have a solution for that error message if you upload it on your own account. I tried to upload a video of 3.3 GB and keep getting the server error message. I have a paid acount of 2TB and have enough space left. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Femke

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for reaching out @FemkeSw!

I wasn't able to replicate the error myself when I tried this out, but there could be many different causes. Let's see if we can narrow this down.

Please try the following to see if there's any difference in the behaviour when uploading:

• Clear your browser cache
  • Try and incognito browsing window
  • Use another web browser altogether

Looking forward to your reply!

Daphne

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Hi Daphne, 

you collegue Dalton just helped me via chat. We first tried a different browser and cache/browser cleaning. Didn't do the trick. Solution was to use the Dropbox app where I could drag and drop files on my pc via Explorer (Windows) to the dropbox folder. That worked. 

Thanks for replying!

Cheers!

Femke

Highlighted

Dropboxer

I'm happy to hear that @FemkeSw!

If you need anything, please don't hesitate to drop me a message here. 😁

Wishing you a great rest of your week!

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?