cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

shared link folder that I should be able to drag and drop my files into so my partner can see them

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I am sincerely about to cry...  I have been trying to figure out this issue for three days and I just cant... so I hope someone can please help me   ugh.

So I have a book cover designer who works for fiverr and she was willing to help me with my photoshop file, which i need someone to make me a pdf file of my pages turned into a book.  

I am trying to send her my current pdf file of the book to see the order that the pages need to go in and I am also trying to send her the photoshop file for her to make edits to.

The pdf file is 110 MB and the photoshop file is 749 MB.

She is not allowed to receive the file any other way but dropbox at the link she sent to me in a message.  I clicked the link in her message and it took me to a dropbox page with a folder that says "shared".      She explained that I should be able to simply drag my files from the desktop into the empty space of this page and she should be able to see the files without me sharing them back to her.

Here is the problem:  When I drag the files into the empty space I get the yellow bar at the bottom of the page asking if i want to save, open or cancel the download.   But the files do not show up in the empty space that I should have been able to drag them to.

Because the woman helping me is a cover designer and not actually offering the service that I am needing-(but was willing to help me out because she knows photoshop well) she cant send me any personal information for me to share the folder to her the "easy" way or fiverr will frown upon her.  So this shared link she sent to me is the only way to get my files to her and I have had no luck.

I have googled and utubed this for days and am sincerely just lost and in need of someone's kindness in explaining this to me.  I am a complete dropbox beginner so please dont assume I know anything when you explain this to me if anyone out there can tell me what to do.

I sincerely appreciate anyone's help and thanks for taking the time to read this.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: shared link folder that I should be able to drag and drop my files into so my partner can see th

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @AspenWillow, I appreciate your detailed message & thanks for taking the time to describe the timeline of events on your end; I’ll do my best to further advise you & I’m positive we’ll get this sorted soon! 

Now, it’s my understanding that your colleague has sent you a view-only shared link 🔗 , which essentially means that even if you try uploading content there, this will not be visible on her end. As you’d need to send her some files in return, please ask her to send you a File Request, where you should be able to upload your pdf & photoshop files. (Tip: I’ve also created this walkthrough, that could point both of you towards the right direction.)

To my mind, that would be the best course of action, as it looks like you can’t share a folder with them, where you could both use a shared workspace, am I right in my understanding? If you’re both using a Dropbox account & you’re both okay working on a shared folder, then I’d advise proceeding with the steps outlined on the resource I linked above. 

Hopefully my message addresses your initial inquiry & please do let me know if you have further questions or just in case I’ve missed anything along the way, so as to further advise accordingly. Any additional visual aid you could include in your next message would also be very helpful, so I’ll be awaiting to hearing back from you here & we’ll take it from where you’ve left off. Thanks! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: shared link folder that I should be able to drag and drop my files into so my partner can see th

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @AspenWillow, I appreciate your detailed message & thanks for taking the time to describe the timeline of events on your end; I’ll do my best to further advise you & I’m positive we’ll get this sorted soon! 

Now, it’s my understanding that your colleague has sent you a view-only shared link 🔗 , which essentially means that even if you try uploading content there, this will not be visible on her end. As you’d need to send her some files in return, please ask her to send you a File Request, where you should be able to upload your pdf & photoshop files. (Tip: I’ve also created this walkthrough, that could point both of you towards the right direction.)

To my mind, that would be the best course of action, as it looks like you can’t share a folder with them, where you could both use a shared workspace, am I right in my understanding? If you’re both using a Dropbox account & you’re both okay working on a shared folder, then I’d advise proceeding with the steps outlined on the resource I linked above. 

Hopefully my message addresses your initial inquiry & please do let me know if you have further questions or just in case I’ve missed anything along the way, so as to further advise accordingly. Any additional visual aid you could include in your next message would also be very helpful, so I’ll be awaiting to hearing back from you here & we’ll take it from where you’ve left off. Thanks! 

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Ok, so I admit- I wasn't only about to cry, I DID cry... ha ha

Wow!  You understood perfectly!   I will ask her to send me a file request and hopefully I can finally get my files to her.   Thanks so much for the walkthrough also- that was super kind of you to take the time to prepare this for us.   And thank you also for taking time out of your holiday to help me.   Not too many people out there anymore that would go out of there way like this to help a stranger...

Sincerest wishes for you to have a great rest of your day and know that you enabled me to do just that same!   SSSIIGGHH!   I may not miss my book releas after all!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
By all means @AspenWillow, that’s why we’re here & I really hope that getting that sorted has put a (liberating) smile on your face 😭  📝 😄  (or maybe you’ve used that spare time to relax a bit more next to a barbecue 🍢?).

We’re always just a post away in case you have further inquiries or thoughts in the future, so don't hesitate to reach back out here at any time. Wishing you a lovely weekend ahead & the best of luck for your book release! 

Jane

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?