cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Shared links and view only (no download)

shared links and view only

dmbguy
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Is there a way to send someone a shared link and to make that file view only? I want to send some examples of my work to potential employers, but I would prefer that the contents of the file not be editable.

It appears that this option is available when sending a file to be shared with someone who is on Dropbox. But the dialogue box does not provide that option when you send someone a shared link. 

14 Replies 14

KaChing
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks! Do you have any suggestions on what I could do or use alternatively? 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Anything you send on the internet can be downloaded on to another persons machine - regardless of what sort of protection sites claim to do.

If its really that critical it isnt downloaded then dont send it via the web.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

FRIIS & partner
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi. I realised that sharing a folder/file as view only, still makes it possible for customers to actually download the files. 

I see that we are more dropbox customers, that are looking for a true view only option - meaning that files can't be downloaded by the recipients - only searched for and viewed.

Is this a feature you have in the near pipeline?

Thank you.

Regards Tine

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

FRIIS & partner wrote:

Is this a feature you have in the near pipeline?

Dropbox doesn't reveal what features they may be planning for the future. If they were to release such a feature, we wouldn't know of it until it was announced.

It's highly unlikely that they'll change the way this works. It's a feature that has been requested for years with no change, likely because it's nearly impossible to prevent downloading. If something can be viewed on the Internet, it can be downloaded.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sometimes features are revealed on the day, and we see it at that moment here. We can’t see any potential releases, but it doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll never happen.

As Rich said, the moment something is on the web and can be viewed with a URL, it can be copied:

- Right click and view the URL to save it using a third party app
- If right click is disable, the temporary internet files/cache should have a local copy
- Screenshot of the page
- Even a photo of the monitor showing the page

These are just a small amount of ways to download or copy files from the web. Even if Dropbox were to block users from downloading the files, it isn’t 100% guaranteed, unless they build in extra protection that would prevent all methods I know of.

For the time being, there isn't the ability to prevent files in shared links to be downloaded to your machine. I've passed your feedback to the dev team on this matter.

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here.]

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?