cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sharing a file between 2 PC's?

Highlighted

sharing a file between 2 PC's?

New member | Level 2

Wondering how to share a XLXS file between two home (LAN) PC's using the same DB account?  Do I need to have two different DB accounts?  Thank you.   

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: sharing a file between 2 PC's?

Super User II

It sounds like on machine 2 you are going to the website to open it. 

You should be able to just install Dropbox on the computer from www.dropbox.com/downloading and log in with the same username/password etc. and it will create a "Dropbox" folder. In there it will then download all your files and folders and you can open them as you would any other file by File -> Open in Excel or navigating to the folder in Explorer.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Super User II

If its the same Dropbox account just put the file in to Dropbox and let it sync.

On machine two make sure you are also logged in to the same Dropbox account and wait for it to download/sync. Then open it. Any edits you do here will then sync back to the cloud and replicate to machine one. 

- - -

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

First of all, thank you so much for your input, effort, intent and knowledge!

Secondly, I am still in the dark about what is happening. 

I *do* see the target file on the 2nd PC using the DB ap.  That is a big step right there!  But when I try to open it in the DB ap all I get is "open in Excel for the WEB", or "Google Sheets".  Problem there is that I have Microsoft 365 and I am 'expecting' to be able to open the target file in that application- not Excel on the WEB or Google Sheets.  Also, The target file does not show up when I look in File Explorer.  ??  Perhaps I am asking toooo much?  

Highlighted

Super User II

It sounds like on machine 2 you are going to the website to open it. 

You should be able to just install Dropbox on the computer from www.dropbox.com/downloading and log in with the same username/password etc. and it will create a "Dropbox" folder. In there it will then download all your files and folders and you can open them as you would any other file by File -> Open in Excel or navigating to the folder in Explorer.

- - -

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Ah ha!  Downloading the AP solved my dilema!  The application must have gotten uninstalled somehow.  PEBKC!  (Problem Existed Between Keyboard and Chair)  Thanks so much Mark!  Good day.         

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?