Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

smart sync on a folder previously copied to Dropbox

Helpful | Level 5

What would happen if I enable smart sync online only on a folder and it's files that I've previously copied to Dropbox before enabling Smart sync? Will a 2nd duplicate folder be created on dropbox?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: smart sync on a folder previously copied to Dropbox

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for your clarifications on this @ctctc. How are you today?

If you're indeed referring to a duplicated folder (since you copied it) that's outside of your Dropbox Folder, then you should be safe to delete it to free up some hard drive space on your Mac device.

Just make sure that the desktop app shows 'up to date'  (which means you're fully synced) before you move forward with this. 

Let me know how it goes! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @ctctc - welcome to our Community!

As you'd be practically changing the sync setting of that specific folder, you won't be generating duplicates. 

Just let our desktop app do its job until it shows 'Up to date' (you can check its status within your system tray/menu bar) and you should be good to go. 

Let me know if you have any more questions and please keep me posted on your progress! 

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

I've learned that you don't apply smart sync to a folder in finder. You apply smart sync to a folder that is in dropbox. Let me try to explain my question more accurately.

My computer's hard drive is out of space. So I copied a huge folder from Finder to dropbox. A duplicate of that folder then appeared under the dropbox folder in Finder with a green checkmark next to it meaning that it has been uploaded. This did not change the amount of space taken on my computer's hard drive. I then enabled smart sync and configured that folder in dropbox to be online only and now that folder appears with a cloud icon meaning that it's online only. This did not change the amount of space taken on my computer's hard drive. Am I now safe to delete the original folder in Finder which would leave the folder in dropbox that is online only?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for your clarifications on this @ctctc. How are you today?

If you're indeed referring to a duplicated folder (since you copied it) that's outside of your Dropbox Folder, then you should be safe to delete it to free up some hard drive space on your Mac device.

Just make sure that the desktop app shows 'up to date'  (which means you're fully synced) before you move forward with this. 

Let me know how it goes! 

Walter

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?