cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

smart sync

New member | Level 2

The smat sync has taken all my files from 2 computers and causing them to be deleted from each and placed most of them on the web in a different order and file name. With system restore Drop box grabbed them again and did same thing. I need all my files back with the same file names and ators. This has been devastating and crippled my business. There is no way we can find to turn this off and get it out of my machine and not loose other drop box files. This is terrible and very costly.
Please help.

3 Replies 3

Re: smart sync

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @Rick smart sync is bad,

Are you sure your problem is "Smart Sync"? 🧐 According to the your descriton, it seems more like you unintentionally turn on "Computer Backup" feature of Dropbox application. Might be not so unintentionally by itself, but the result :hushed face: is definitely. :grinning face with big eyes:

Take a look on the article bottom how you can turn it off.

Hope this helps.

New member | Level 2

Thaanks.

I actually thought I was backing up my files with drop box, not syncing them to the cloud.  I use Sync Toy to sync the computers together.  It noticed that the files were gone and corrupted both machines. Cannot retrieve the original files back from Drop Box.  I beleive that I can check each one local but the names have been changed. And there are tomany to do that to.  Is there a way to retrive from drop box what it removed in the same orgainzation and file format and sut the smart sync down?

Thanks

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @Rick smart sync is bad,

You can turn off your "Smart Sync" through Preferences -> Sync tab. Make sure the feature related to automatic space save is turned off. That's it.

Neither "Smart Sync" nor "Computer Backup" change any file or folder name or change them in any other way, so be careful! Typically, the usage of 2 or more sync system together on same space could be dangerous! Make sure your practice to use alternative sync is compatible. Otherwise use only one, since 2 or more can interfere to each other with unpredictable (or difficult to predict) results!

If the files were in sync at some moment, you can try restore them with "unwind" back to the state at that moment. This could lead to loss of recent changes, if any!

Good luck.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?