cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

space issue resolved, now iPhone won't auto sync photos. app insists "connect to a computer"

space issue resolved, now iPhone won't auto sync photos. app insists "connect to a computer"

New member | Level 2

My iphone synced wirelessly with no issues until I ran out of free space in dropbox a few months ago. I've since deleted 2/3 of what was in DB so I have plenty of room now. However, I can't get the App on my phone to resume "auto syncing". I can force manual uploads to dropbox (though it doesn's seem to notice when I try to upload a duplicate as it has in the past.. it just continues uploading the duplicate and renames the file). 

In the App when I try to toggle 'camera uploads' on, it insists on prompting "are you near a computer".. download the app on the computer, etc.. even though I already have it installed on a computer. From what I can tell there's no place in the app to toggle auto camera uploads on without forcing a new download of the desktop app. 

I've also tried signing out / back in of both my iOS and desktop Dropbox instances, but  that does not resolve the no auto-sync issue. 

Help! 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: space issue resolved, now iPhone won't auto sync photos. app insists "connect to a computer

Dropboxer
Hey @ndlarryj, welcome to our community! 

Like @Mark mentioned, you now must have a paid subscription if you want to upload photos automatically from your mobile, using Camera Uploads. If you have a basic account, you need to physically plug your mobile into your computer, and transfer the photos that way. 

If this isn’t working, then by all means write into our team here, so an agent can assist. 

Thanks! 

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https:confused face:/dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Re: space issue resolved, now iPhone won't auto sync photos. app insists "connect to a computer

Super User II
Dropbox recently updated the requirements for Camera Upload to include a requirement that you use a paid account OR have it installed on a desktop computer.

So, if its asking for a desktop computer install you will need to do that before it will continue.

www.dropbox.com/downloading will let you do that

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

New member | Level 2

I do have it on my computer already. But files I see on my desktop dropbox folder are only ones i'm manually uploading/pushing from my phone. 

I take a new picture--> manually upload to dropbox folder on phone --> see it in dropbox folder on desktop

How do I re-enable automatic syncing / uploads. Each time I try to do so, the iOS app prompts me "connect to a computer". (It already is! argh!) 

Super User II
Have you tried reinstalling to the latest version?

www.dropbox.com/downloading

Is the account on your computer the same as the one on your phone? You arent using shared folders between them or anything are you?

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Dropboxer
Hey @ndlarryj, welcome to our community! 

Like @Mark mentioned, you now must have a paid subscription if you want to upload photos automatically from your mobile, using Camera Uploads. If you have a basic account, you need to physically plug your mobile into your computer, and transfer the photos that way. 

If this isn’t working, then by all means write into our team here, so an agent can assist. 

Thanks! 

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https:confused face:/dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?